MP-Pistol Forum banner

Got an Internal Lock & Mag Disconnect preference?

• Yes IL & MD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care as long as it goes bang

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why some folks opt for no IL and MD models. Aside from the obvious wanting to fire with no mag and just not needing the lock. Do either of these options have any issues or adversely effect function, once again, in other than the obvious ways :wink: .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am not aware of any functional issues related to having or not having them. I have little use for the lock on any gun since I have a safe and keep them all locked when they are not being used for CCW or going to/from the range. As for the magazine safety, I would have liked to have this feature on both of my M&Ps but not enough to pass up the deals I got and pay more for them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't have it and I don't really plan on ever using either one of them. My last gun had an internal lock and I never used it. The mag safety just isn't for me. I think it's a great feature though.

Reason I don't want/need an internal lock is that I plan on teaching my kids (when I have some) PROPER gun handeling techniques and gun safety. rule 1 is never to touch it unless I'm right next to them. Rule 2 is that its always loaded unless THEY check.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have both safeties on my MP9. I chose to have both due to the fact that there might be a little one running around in the future. This way I have an additional way of keeping it safe from them using it. I also figured if I don't want to use it then I dont have to, but if I want it in the future it is there if I want it.

It also helped sell the idea of me getting this gun to the wife by having both on it. She is not really against guns but not a big fan of them around her. I keep trying to get her to the range with me to hopefully cure that.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I got a version with mag safety and internal lock through default. It was the cheapest and easiest model to get at the time for me. I wanted no ms and no il but as long as it goes bang, I guess I don't really care.

At first, I didn't like the sear disconnect or the mag safety. But they have grown on me. Once you figure out that you can trip the sear disconnect with your pinkey, it's really not difficult at all. As for the mag safety, it is a PITA for competition and dry firing with a mag in the gun isn't good gun handling, but it could come in handy to be able to disable your gun by just dropping the mag. Who knows.

I wish it had a mag release that was always ambi. like the USP. Aside from that, no complaints.

As for an external safety: a GunVault is your external safety at home, and a high quality holster is your external safety in polite society.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Neither my full size or compact MP40 have the mag or internal safety lock, being an old wheelgun guy I just do not have any use for things like that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I won't buy a gun with any kind of a lock on it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My 40C is coming to me without either. If I had a firearm with an internal lock I wouldn't use it because I'd end up losing the "key". As for a mag safety, uhhh.. why? If I remove my mag to "safe" the weapon I also remove the cartridge from the chamber and if in the company of others (the range), lock back the slide to show that it's empty.

As for external safeties on DAO's again, why????? I don't have one on any of my wheel guns or my 3953, should I? Why?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I voted for the IL and MD... I don't mind having the IL since it's always my option to lock it or not, and the hole for the key is built into the frame anyway (although my opinion on this may change the first time I drive all the way to the range with a locked M&P and no key!) As for the MD, I'd rather just have Dan remove it for me so that I can forgo the "Caution: Gun will fire without magazine inserted" disclaimer stamped on the slide...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Given a choice I'd go for mag disconnect but no internal lock. After some snooping, I don't think the internal lock will be a reliability issue, when the plugs for the hole become available, in goes the bung on my personal piece.

Both the magazine disconnect and the manual safety are good weapon retention features. Doesn't chain the weapon to your body, but gives you a way to deactive the weapon if you're losing control of it. Also gives precious additional time for remedial action.

Many of the positions put forward about the "dangers" of the magazine disconnect don't stand up to critical examination/history. I've watched about 2 million rounds go down range from magazine safety equipped pistols, the only failures to fire I'm aware of were due to failure to properly seat the magazine. The result was the same as the same action without the device: Bang, Click. The cure was also the same: Tap, Rack, Ready. Can't fire the round in the chamber while reloading? That's a tactical reload, done from behind cover, during a lull in any action and with the fresh mag right beside the weapon. Where's the threat?

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you guys shot IDPA, having a magazine safety is a real

pain. When the SO says show clear you have to drop the

magazine, rack the slide, come up with an empty magazine,

insert that magazine, rack the slide, drop the slide pull the

trigger drop the empty magazine and put your gun in your holster.

It's kinda like doing a rain dance.

Zeke

·
Registered
757 Posts
There must be some anal range officers out there. All I've had to do during stages is say "Magazine Safety" and the RO's don't worry about it. I haven't been able to leave the line without dropping the hammer/striker, but I've got plenty of empty mags by then.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
wr moore said:
There must be some anal range officers out there. All I've had to do during stages is say "Magazine Safety" and the RO's don't worry about it. I haven't been able to leave the line without dropping the hammer/striker, but I've got plenty of empty mags by then.

Exactly what he said.

The "no click" when pulling trigger,never a problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I plan to order product no. 209201 very soon: no ILS but equipped with the mag disconnect in 9x19. I always liked the "kill" button in case of a weapon snatch but don't like the notion of a lock requiring keys. Murphy has struck too many times in my life to trust it won't be engaged at the wrong moment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts