MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I line up the dots (factory sight) over bulls eye and yet all my shot end up 3" lower. Whats going on here? Seems that if I place my sight higher (more like muzzle over bullseye) I hit it right on. Do my sight need adjustment or do I need to get used to aiming higher to compensate?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Shoot from a rest at 7 yds see what happens. If there is a good shooter at your range, ask them to shoot your gun. If its still all low, call S&W. Good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
Could be trigger control . . . . could be the gun.

I'd listen to what tigs suggested by allowing an experienced shooter (not sure of your level) wring it out for a bit. Then reassess.

-B

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boris said:
Could be trigger control . . . . could be the gun.

I'd listen to what tigs suggested by allowing an experienced shooter (not sure of your level) wring it out for a bit. Then reassess.

-B
That was my exact thinking for next time I'm at the range. Its just that I saw a simular post somewhere about the same problem others had but I did a search and did not come up on the same one I was looking for.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
That doesn't sound like too much of a problem to me. If you're shooting close (7 yards) you would almost have to cover the desired POI with the muzzle since the pistol is not zeroed in for such a close range. Further out (25 yards) you could use more of a pumpkin on a post sight picture.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok I found the post about low left, what do you know its a sticky. maybe I should have my eyes checked since I missed it the first time. Well after reading it, didn't help too much because 50% of people said its user error and 50% sent their guns in to S&W for repair and got a new sight and shoot perfect now. So which case can my gun be. I can have another person shoot it see what happens. Yet people say that even the best shooters have to readjust their grip when shooting the M&P so a glock guy might shoot lousy with my gun and say "that it sucks send it back , you should of bought a Glock in the first place bro." I walk away with my head hung low hating everone at the range shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Which grip are you using? I switched to the small early on and was shooting low. Switched to the medium and the groups moved up a bit. Maybe give the next grip size up a shot?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Try some different brands of ammo before you make any rash adjustments. Some ammo (generally higher velocity ammo) will shoot lower than lower velocity ammo. Try some WWB and see it your gun is not right on target at 15 yards.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had the same problem until somebody pointed out I was holding the pistol too tight. Take a break in between shots, lay the gun down and go back and shoot. It helps me.

Over time, your groups will tighten up over the bullseye.

Shooting a pistol is kind of like golf, you need to practice a lot and only then you get better.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Sounds to me like you may be anticipating the shot and trying to compensate for recoil. The trigger should break clean and smooth with no movement of sights on target. Takes a lot of practice, dry fire helps immensely too! Try a "dummy" round in the mag (preferably loaded by someone else so you don't know where in the mag) and see how much flinch you have when the trigger breaks. JMHO

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
coltman1985 said:
Sounds to me like you may be anticipating the shot and trying to compensate for recoil. The trigger should break clean and smooth with no movement of sights on target. Takes a lot of practice, dry fire helps immensely too! Try a "dummy" round in the mag (preferably loaded by someone else so you don't know where in the mag) and see how much flinch you have when the trigger breaks. JMHO[/quote

nope, I don't even think about recoil. I shot other guns and had no problem with POA.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gwave969 said:
[quote name='coltman1985']Sounds to me like you may be anticipating the shot and trying to compensate for recoil. The trigger should break clean and smooth with no movement of sights on target. Takes a lot of practice, dry fire helps immensely too! Try a "dummy" round in the mag (preferably loaded by someone else so you don't know where in the mag) and see how much flinch you have when the trigger breaks. JMHO
nope, I don't even think about recoil. I shot other guns and had no problem with POA.[/quote]

·
Registered
93 Posts
gwave969 said:
ok I found the post about low left, what do you know its a sticky. maybe I should have my eyes checked since I missed it the first time. Well after reading it, didn't help too much because 50% of people said its user error and 50% sent their guns in to S&W for repair and got a new sight and shoot perfect now. So which case can my gun be. I can have another person shoot it see what happens. Yet people say that even the best shooters have to readjust their grip when shooting the M&P so a glock guy might shoot lousy with my gun and say "that it sucks send it back , you should of bought a Glock in the first place bro." I walk away with my head hung low hating everone at the range shop.

Almost always a twitchy trigger finger. It is hard to break the habbit. Dry fire dry fire dry fire. Work on smoot trigger pull. That last little bit when the trigger pops is where I sometimes loose it and twitch it back. Also make sure you are focusing on the front site. Not the target. The target should be somewhat blurry with the front site dead clear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm one of the 50% that sent their gun back. My M&P9 shot consistently low and left (6" low at 15 yards). Out of the box, the front sight was off center to the right. Since I agreed with many posters on this forum that the first three of five reasons a firearm is inaccurate start with "shooter" I spent about 1500 rounds trying to correct the shooter before I sent it back. It came back with the front sight centered and, I believe, a shorter front sight. The low-left was gone. S&W was very quick with the fix.

I should have sent it back much earlier since I didn't shoot low and left with anything else I owned and almost everything else I picked up and fired for the first time. In the 1500 round effort to correct the shooter, I lost confidence in the M&P and began shooting it more erratically. It's taken a while to get back the proper technique for this pistol. In fact, I stopped shooting it as much and shot others that I shoot much better. With some time off the pistol. a change in my grip technique for the pistol it's turning out to be a pretty good shooter. (Now it's 1. Shooter, 2. Shooter, 3. Shooter, 4. ammo, 5. pistol that are the problem).

·
Registered
97 Posts
gwave969 said:
I can have another person shoot it see what happens. Yet people say that even the best shooters have to readjust their grip when shooting the M&P so a glock guy might shoot lousy with my gun and say "that it sucks send it back , you should of bought a Glock in the first place bro." I walk away with my head hung low hating everone at the range shop.

Any type of gun will require a slight change certainly. The grip angle is certainly different from the Glock. However- it you are a good shooter you can still line up sights whether it's a Glock, Sig or M&P, etc. If someone ever said that to me... it would just prove how stupid they are.

I've had many guns and I did have a couple that without a doubt were shooting high (the gun and NOT me)- it's easily fixed usually... however I'm not aware of taller or lower sights for the M&Ps yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
. however I'm not aware of taller or lower sights for the M&Ps yet.

I have a feeling if my sight was lower it would shoot higher and right on target. Why would S&W be issuing lower sights for the guns that shoot low. It's odd that normal sights don't work for some but yet work for others.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts