MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Bud's decided to offer the M&P9c for $399 about three days after I put in my order for an M&P9. While my plan was eventually to own them both, we don't currently have the money to buy them both right now. I originally went with the M&P9 because it was the one on sale. The good news is that I paid by check and they are waiting for it to clear before shipping the gun, so I can still change my order if need be.

I've shot them both side by side and both shot well -- better than my G19 that I carry now. The M&P9c was acceptable with the pinky extension; it wasn't without it (I just can't feel comfortable with sub-compacts). Adding the extension effectively makes the M&P9c as long in the grip as my G19, which I can effectively conceal IWB with just a t-shirt and OWB with a button-down shirt.

I've done the searches and have read the different threads. I'm hoping something new will come up if I ask: why should I buy the M&P9c over the M&P9? This will become my CCW once I'm satisfied that it's 100% reliable.

Let's hear it...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought the M&P 9 full sized some months ago and really like the pistol.

I'm awaiting receipt of my CHL (on day 32 now :roll: ), so have really not had an opportuinty to carry in public. However, I have worn it around the house in a Comp-Tac C-TAC holster to become accustomed to carrying.

As a result of this very limited experience, I'm now contemplating getting a 9c. The full sized just seems to be to large and I have yet to find a comfortable location to carry it. I'm about 6' and 210 lbs, with fairly small hips. The barrell and/or the butt of the full size keep poking me wherever I try to carry it in the CTAC holster. Maybe I just need more "practice", but that's my story so far .... :wink:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I like the full size. You will get use to what you carry most often regardless of size IMHO. Good luck!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
utarch00 said:
If you can carry the g19, then you can carry the full size 9.

After stopping by the gunshop today to fondle an M&P9, M&P9c, and a G19, I agree. I'm going to stick with the full-size for now and then add the compact later.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
csprick said:

I'm awaiting receipt of my CHL (on day 32 now :roll: ), so have really not had an opportuinty to carry in public. However, I have worn it around the house in a Comp-Tac C-TAC holster to become accustomed to carrying.

As a result of this very limited experience, I'm now contemplating getting a 9c. The full sized just seems to be to large and I have yet to find a comfortable location to carry it. I'm about 6' and 210 lbs, with fairly small hips. The barrell and/or the butt of the full size keep poking me wherever I try to carry it in the CTAC holster.

Maybe I just need more "practice", but that's my story so far .... :wink:

You Had me at small hips

I have used my full size .40 for ccw and have had no problems

But will be getting my 9c soon and cannot wait to ccw with that smaller barrell, and smaller frame

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
csprick said:

As a result of this very limited experience, I'm now contemplating getting a 9c. The full sized just seems to be to large and I have yet to find a comfortable location to carry it. I'm about 6' and 210 lbs, with fairly small hips. The barrell and/or the butt of the full size keep poking me wherever I try to carry it in the CTAC holster. Maybe I just need more "practice", but that's my story so far .... :wink:

Have you tried another holster? I have the same problem with my G19 in a CTAC. I've found a tolerable location for the gun but it's not comfortable by any means. Rigid plastic IWB just isn't very forgiving.

Also, have you tried OWB? By the dimensions you've described, you probably have an athletic frame (I do as well). If so, OWB will work provided that the holster has enough forward cant to keep the butt of the gun from printing too much.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ER_STL said:
Have you tried another holster? I have the same problem with my G19 in a CTAC. I've found a tolerable location for the gun but it's not comfortable by any means. Rigid plastic IWB just isn't very forgiving.

Also, have you tried OWB? By the dimensions you've described, you probably have an athletic frame (I do as well). If so, OWB will work provided that the holster has enough forward cant to keep the butt of the gun from printing too much.

I have a Maverick Defender on order from K&D Holsters which should be here in a few weeks -- probably before my CHL at the slow rate that is going.

I thought that wearing the Defender between my belt and pants, as shown on Kevin's photo might work for me. Totally OWB seems like it would be a problem here in south Texas in the summer - harder to keep from printing, no :?: :?:

Because my butt/hips don't provide much "shelf space", (that's all ABOVE the belt - in the front) :wink: unless I have my belt cinched pretty tightly, my pants tend to slip w/o the extra weight of something hanging on my belt, so I'm, still searching for the "ideal" solution......

Chuck

·
Registered
282 Posts
The glock 21 / 26 holsters fit the M&P's I am using a Bianchi Model 82 "carrylock" for the Glock 21 for my M&P9C. Works just fine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
csprick said:
I have a Maverick Defender on order from K&D Holsters which should be here in a few weeks -- probably before my CHL at the slow rate that is going.

Chuck

Let us know how that holster turns out. I have both an Eagle and a Dakota on order but if the Maverick truly can fit both roles then I'll just get that one instead. I liked the fact that the cant was so easily adjustable.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Go with the compact and get an xtra fullsize mag.

With one of my mag sleeves it handles just like the full size M&P. :twisted: (shameless self promotion)

I carry my .40c with the pinky mag and 2 15 rounders as spares. Its like having both for the price of one. 8)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am smallish in size, 5'11" and 180 lbs. I can't completely conceal the M&P IWB @ 3:00 in just a T shirt. It prints to the point where I think someone tht knows what they are looking at might notice. Of course, most people think it's a cell phone but if they payed more attention thay'd notice that is on the otther side. I have to have on a polo or button up to feel like I'm actually "concealed". I can conceal it @ 4:00 well but that is uncomfortable while sitting.

Just wondering why you would try to carry the full size if the compact with a pinky mag feels just fine? I'm plenty acurate with my compact. Not nearly as much flip as most other small polymers.

I say go with the compact when you get the money saved up and carry one of your full size mags as a reload with one of luvmy40's mag sleeves. (shameless promotion).
They are sweet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL - like the magazine promotions...

Honestly, after handling the fullsize next to the compact at the shop last week I realized that I like the feel of the full-size better. The compact is just a little more top-heavy, like an XD. The full-size felt as balanced as the Glock does in my hand with better ergonomics to boot.

On that note, I don't know why Glock hasn't come out with an adjustable grip like the M&P...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts