MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fired many different kinds of .45's but the only difference i noticed was the cost of ammo!!!! i think it was made popular by the celebrity status, i am fully comfortable with the 15 rounds of .40..

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well a .45 has renound stopping power regardless of ammo type. Big Bullet Big Hole. But Im more than happy with a .40, but I have a .45 as well I just dont shoot it alot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For me it's 9mm until I get a bit more accurate, for now I think I need the higher capacity. I can hit center of mass but it's going to take a bit of practice until I can consistently hit the vitals. So for now I'm sticking with the 9 for faster follow up shots and higher capacity to finish the job if the need should arise. I'll upgrade to .45 when I'm a bit more accurate. Then when I get really good in winter I'll switch to the 686P .357. I don't think anybody would argue with the stopping power of .357 hollow points.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All the service calibers (9mm and larger) do fine with good quality ammunition

the performance differences between the better loads in each are not worth worrying about

Other than .22lr all my pistols are 9mm and .45acp

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like others have said all service calibers will do the job just fine, personally I like the 45 above all other auto calibers. The way I look at it is this is, if I'm reduced to just ball ammo I want to make the biggest hole possible and that is .45 unless you go with an exotic caliber. Bigger hole= more blood loss=quicker incapacitation of adversary. I know I've read that bigger doesn't always = quicker stops but bigger is peace of mind for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
chefdog said:
Why are you restricted to Ball ammo????? Do you live in New Jersey??
No, but with the nonsensical "laws" that are being proposed by our "law makers" how long will it be before we're all restricted to ball? Must prepare for what's coming folks, remove head from sand and look ahead :roll:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just returned from the beach, so no more sand here! I've not heard about any proposed legislation to prevent the use of JHP ammo (except for NJ). If such a law were to come about, I'd just stock up on JHP's now, and continue to use them. I'd rather be alive and deal with the consequences than end up on the losing end of a fight, IMHO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK guys you're totally missing my point, no proposed laws yet, my original point was bigger holes are better IMO that's all...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I may just stay with the 40......

I've got a MP in 40 caliber and 9mm compact that I love. I've been drooling over the MP 45 in DEB (don't need another black gun) but I've not seen one on the shelves yet. This has given me some time to think about it and I've almost come to the conclusion that my 40 will do just about anything a 45 will do, but cheaper. My next gun will have to be a S & W 442 for summer ccw and then I'll make a decision about the MP 45. I also have become attracted to the S & W Model 327 TRR8 just to confuse the issue even more. :?

·
Registered
291 Posts
One of the forums, I don't remember which one, had a guy who investigated shootings for the state of Kentucky.

I believe his stats were for the average number of rounds in a dead man, 9mm 11rds, .40 9rds, .45 1.5rds.

Nuf said!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've never had any interest in .45. I did want a new M&P45 just to see what the hype about .45's is, but I'm glad I didn't throw my money at one. They're not nearly as pleasing to the eye as the other M&P's.

Edited on June 1st to add: I never meant the above, I swear!
(I just bought a .45)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts