MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I took my 45 to the range today with 200 rounds of reloads. Everything went smooth except for the one round that somehow missed the crimp die and took two attempts to feed right and the one round that went "poof" vs "bang" and had just enough energy to get the damn load stuck in the barrel :roll: Thankfully I had some cut dowels & a hammer with me to get it out (per jesters suggestion) Guess that one missed the powder drop or something.

But here's the wierd issue I had ..... there was one round that when I pulled the trigger didn't do anything at all. I waited about 30 seconds before I ejected it (just in case) and looked at the primer and it appeared to have been struck so I though maybe just a bad primer. But for the hell of it I loaded it back into the mag & tried agan ... nothing. So that's 2 stricker hits & no bang, just put it aside. After I was done I decided to try it one last time so I just dropped it into the breach and let the slide go forward .... pulled the trigger and, not expecting anything to happen so I didn't have that good a grip on the pistol, BANG!!!! I didn't drop the pistol but it sure supprised the hell outta me that's for sure.

So what would cause the round to take 3 hits before firing?? Could that have just been a bad primer after all and not light striker hits?? I mean I now have 1000 round thru the 45 and this is the only time this has happened. Actually this was the first time I've had any issues with it and technically the first two I mentioned were both my fault :oops: Just wanted to get thought's on this one.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sounds like a primer issue to me, and not an issue with the gun what-so-ever. Maybe the primer was not correctly seated and/or became unseated at some time and setting it aside allowed it to settle into place, making it actually fire on the 3rd attempt. Just a thought.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
As mentioned this might have just been a defective primer, or it might not have been seated properly, hard to say beyond the fact that it is a primer problem.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I would say you didn't seat the primer fully. That's usually good for it taking two strikes to light it off.

Additionally, there may have been something wrong with it, like the anvil was not right or something.

D

·
0 Posts
A friend had a problem with a 45 Glock not putting off every round. This only happened with reloads . It was suggested to clean out primmer pockets and the problem never happened again.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I stopped using cci primers in my Dillon because I would get this every once in a while! They looked seated, but wouldn't pop off?! :twisted: I switched to Winchester and haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
44 Posts
coltman1985 said:
I stopped using cci primers in my Dillon because I would get this every once in a while! They looked seated, but wouldn't pop off?! :twisted: I switched to Winchester and haven't had any issues since.

CCI primers have thicker cups that Winchester...the are well known to be the hardest to ignite. That's why I only use CCI primers. I make sure that all my guns run 100% with them, and know that they will work with anything. - Josh M.

·
Registered
176 Posts
On a related note, most manufacturers instruct not to drop a round into the chamber via the ejection port (breech). Darn hard on the extractor when she has to run over the lip of the casing when the slide closes. Can chip the extractor on guns by doing this, leading to the problem where empties are ejected straight back into your forehead instead of out the side. Have read reports where the chip is so small it can hardly be seen by the naked eye but it's there and causing problems. Not sure if the same rules apply to the M&P 45.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Darrin said:
A friend had a problem with a 45 Glock not putting off every round. This only happened with reloads . It was suggested to clean out primmer pockets and the problem never happened again.

One of my friends had a mystery non-strike with a dropped hammer on their CZ75 at a match this weekend.

Perhaps it's contagious

just kidding, for the humor impaired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts