MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been looking for a carry weapon for some time, and we finally decided to go with a new M&P9c. She has small hands, but this one really seems to fit. I think the price was right, at $399 + tax. It has the magazine lock, which is fine for her.

The trigger was rough (no surprise), like it needs to be broken in. I field stripped it, cleaned it, and lubed it (the 7 points, per the manual). I had a little trouble putting it back together, as the slide was catching on something on the way back, about 1/4" forward of where it sits normally when assembled. I'm pretty sure that it was hanging on the FP block. I pushed the block up (unassembled) and tried again, and it finally went on.

The trigger feels a bit better, and the overall slide movement is definitely smoother. The trigger feels light (but not smooth) up to a point, then it feels quite heavy, just before it fires. It's so heavy that its pretty difficult not to jerk the gun. This definitely needs to be improved. We're taking it to the range this week to put a few hundred rounds through it. I hope that will smooth things out a bit. I've read the PDF on the trigger job, and it looks to be within my abilities. How much of it I'll do depends on how it smooths out on it's own after firing.

FWIW, I've been carrying a G19 for the last couple years (about 5000 rounds or so), and am used to that trigger. I'm no expert shooter, but I can shoot respectable groups with it. The M&P is definitely not a Glock trigger...

I do have a question, however, about whether there are any additional points that need oil. As mentioned above, I only field stripped it, and only put oil (CLP) on the spots that were noted in the manual. Based on the description above, could there be spots that need some more attention?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I put a drop on each frame rail and spread it around with a q-tip. Top, sides, and bottom of the rail.

I put a drop in each slide rail, and smear it down the rail with a patch.

I put a drop on the cone muzzle of the barrel.

I put a drop where the barrel locks and unlocks from the slide. (You can see a wear pattern in the slide and barrel where the barrel will rub the slide.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you paid $400 you stole it. Mine was $520 and that was $20 less from what they wanted for it. The cheapest price in the Detroit area is Gander Mountain for $499 + Tax.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mike said:
If you paid $400 you stole it. Mine was $520 and that was $20 less from what they wanted for it. The cheapest price in the Detroit area is Gander Mountain for $499 + Tax.

Got mine at the Gun Show this past weekend for $449

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like it was a better price than we thought. We got it from Schramm's at the DFW gun show (market center), FWIW.

I took it to the range tonight and fired about 250 rounds through it. It was a variety of several types. I had already picked up several different types that I was going to test with my G19, so I just took them both. I ran a couple magazines each of the JHP, and the rest was WWB. I'm happy to say that the M&P functioned 100% (and so did the Glock
).

Winchester White Box (115gr)

Federal HST (124 gr)

Federal HydraShok (124 gr)

Speer Gold Dot (124 gr +P)

Speer Gold Dot (147 gr)

The trigger smoothed out a noticable amount. The light part of the pull is still rough, but the break is a lot lighter. It's a big step in the right direction, but I suspect it will get a bit better just by shooting. The improvement was encouraging enough that I probably won't do any direct modifications. I will admit that it made the Glock trigger feel kind of 'mushy'.

As for accuracy, I was quite impressed. It was keeping up with my G19 very well, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being more accurate when it's more fully broken in, despite the shorter barrel. (FYI, I had a similar experience with a Sig P239). Although I had a few stragglers while I was adjusting to the trigger, I was making 2" groups with the JHP rounds at 7 yds. The White Box was not nearly so consistent. Overall, not bad for the first time out. Unfortunately, my wife didn't make it out this time, so we have to wait to get her shooting impressions.

I'm really happy with this purchase. I think it's a very shootable, and have reason to believe it will be a very reliable gun. I am really glad to find something that fits my wife's small hands so well, yet still has a decent magazine capacity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gander Mtn. Price Match

Recently got my MP9C at Gander for $469.00. They were at $499.00 but matched Guns Galore price. Sounds like you got a GREAT deal @ $399.00
About 130 rounds so far and ZERO complaints!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I field stripped it and cleaned it again. I really think that the rough feeling in the trigger up to just before the break is due to roughness where the Firing Pin Block is contacted by the trigger bar. With the slide removed, I feel none of that roughness that I feel with it attached. The edge of the the trigger bar that touches the FP block is really rough. It seams really silly that S&W chooses not to polish this, because it seems like it would really help the feel out of the box.

I'll give it a few hundred more rounds before touching it, but I think I might need to clean up that edge just a bit. I don't think there's enough tension there for it to fully smooth out on it's own, but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
From my experiences with M&Ps there is a substantial improvement in the trigger with use. In fact the improvement has been so dramatic that I am not currently looking to have a trigger job done.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You are exactly right about where the grittiness is coming from. It's where the trigger bar pushes on the FPS. I polished both the FPS and the trigger bar and it helped tremendously. I didn't remove any metal; I just polished with Flitz and a q-tip. The next time I have it apart I will probably use a Dremel to try to polish a little more.

It will also help a little to polish the striker and sear contact points. Polish where the sear contacts the striker; and polish where the trigger bar contacts the sear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another range trip.

I ran another 300 rounds of WWB through it tonight, with zero problems. The reliability of this pistol is great so far.

I'm not as accurate with WWB as I am with higher quality ammo, but this is the kind of results I was getting at 7 yds. Each target is two full magazines (total of 24 rounds each).

The trigger is getting smoother, but is still a bit heavy. It's heavier than my G19 by a fair amount. I think that accounts for my groups being a bit to the left. I take full credit for being off center, the gun is more accurate than I am.

This one is about 50 rounds of WWB at 10 yds. The 5 head shots were made before they told me that they didn't allow head shots past 5 yds.

I'm very happy with this gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YukonGlocker said:
What do you mean they don't allow head shots past 5 yds???
I didn't feel like debating it with them. He asked me to stop, so I did. It makes no sense to me, either. It's an indoor range, so they have to be careful, but it's also pretty clear that I was hitting the target...

What's funny is that a guy a couple lanes down had a 'hostage' target and was shooting at it at 15 yds. When he pulled the target back, there were holes all over the paper, including one very perforated 'hostage', but not including the BG whose only exposed body part was...the head.

Yes, I'm seeking alternative locations to shoot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Another range trip.

INTP said:
... but this is the kind of results I was getting at 7 yds. Each target is two full magazines (total of 24 rounds each).

I like this target, INTP. Where'd you get it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
INTP said:
[quote name='YukonGlocker']What do you mean they don't allow head shots past 5 yds???
I didn't feel like debating it with them. He asked me to stop, so I did. It makes no sense to me, either. It's an indoor range, so they have to be careful, but it's also pretty clear that I was hitting the target...

What's funny is that a guy a couple lanes down had a 'hostage' target and was shooting at it at 15 yds. When he pulled the target back, there were holes all over the paper, including one very perforated 'hostage', but not including the BG whose only exposed body part was...the head.

Yes, I'm seeking alternative locations to shoot.[/quote]

Which range was this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to stop reporting every range trip, but my wife put 150 rounds through it today, with zero malfunctions. Total count is about 700, with no problems at all. We are both very pleased with this gun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts