MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not really a fan of .40 or .45 so I thinking of getting M&P9, but than realise that since there will be a M&P45 they might make one in 10mm (same frame).

but what are the chances of S&W making one? IIRC right now they don't offer any guns in this calibre...

have there been any talk about M&P in 10mm? IMO that would be an awesone combination :!:

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's a great thought, but I suspect the .45M&P has been designed from the ground up as a .45acp., similar to what Springfield did with the .45 XD, to keep size at a minimum. Issues such as slide mass, lockup and heavier recoil springs would probably need to be altered quite a bit. If, it can handle the .45 Super however, then it should be fine as a 10mm. This has me curious.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
10mmM&P said:
It's a great thought, but I suspect the .45M&P has been designed from the ground up as a .45acp., similar to what Springfield did with the .45 XD, to keep size at a minimum. Issues such as slide mass, lockup and heavier recoil springs would probably need to be altered quite a bit. If, it can handle the .45 Super however, then it should be fine as a 10mm. This has me curious.

Well, the question is the strength of the frame. IIRC from discussions about wanting this and other .45s in 10mm, the breech face needs to be at a different angle. So the slide ahs to be redone anyway. Frankly judging from glock, the slide is beefy enough. I think one could say the same of the barrel if you took the .45 barrel and just left the extra metal from making it only 10mm.

Stouter recoil springs are a negligable change.

I'd definitley like one.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I asked ths question of one of my S&W friends a while ago, here is the quote from his email response:

3. any plans on a 10mm M&P? My favorite caliber
(WE, (ENGINEERS) HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THAT, MARKETING WILL DICTATE IF WE SELL IT OR NOT)

So I guess we wait and see if marketing thinks they can sell one. With the tooling all done for the 45 frame and the 40 barrels I don't think it would cost much more to produce one. But what do I know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Done Yukon, and thanks for the link. What I forgot to ask, was whether or not the new M&P.45 is rated for +P ammo? That might be a good indication of whether or not an M&P 10 will be a possibility.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
have there been any talk about M&P in 10mm? IMO that would be an awesone combination :!:
I became curious about the reasons for this thread and first did an online conversion of 10mm and learned this was very close to .40 in bore size. Some further research showed that 10mm cartridges generally carry a heavier bullet and are loaded to higher pressures (I think). Is this something on the order of the differences between the .38 special and .357 Magnum cartridges? I'm not wanting a 10mm, just wondering why it exists.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I think all your questions on the 10mm can be answered here just scroll down for the whole article.

Basically the 10mm was before the 40. The 40 is nothing more then a cut down & neutered 10mm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

·
Registered
16 Posts
+100 to what Dan said. You could think of the 10mm as a .40mag.(although the 10mm preceeded the .40 by about 7 years). The 10mm also uses a large pistol primer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks, guys. Actually, I did read that site and a few others after doing a Google search on 10mm cartridge. Just wanted to get some opinions from fellow members. Think I'll set my own sights on a .45 down the line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I sent S&W an e-mail regarding the possibility of this, and this was their response:

master - iam forwarding your email to our advanced products division for consideration

thank you

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:58 PM

To: Smith & Wesson Support

Subject: M&P 10mm

Is there a possibility of an M&P 10mm? I have an M&P.40 and have been very impressed with it, and now with the offering of the M&P.45 we have a platform that should be easily adapted to the 10mm. Since I have the.40, I'm really not that interested in the .45, as there's really no increase in effectiveness, but a 10mm would really be a different story. Quite a few others have expressed an interest in an M&P10mm at the M&P forum. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
10mm M&P

I'm glad to see that other people like me that think the 10mm is alive and well. I have a 95% S&W 1006, it' an awsome weapon. I had several occasions to get rid of it but I just can't. I hope to hear more about the "10" in the future.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd rather there be a .22 conversion kit for the 9mm. There seems to be high demand for something like that. Not so much for 10mm, though the M&P would be a great platform for that caliber.

Ciao,

Effy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts