MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Yes, NATO is normally higher pressure. This is just my own opinion, but i dont see ANY point in shooting NATO rounds in ANY gun, especially these little shield pocket rockets. All your doing is unnecessarily beating the life out of the gun using high pressure ammo. Theres plenty of other ammo out there to choose from. But if you like all that excessive recoil, buy to your hearts content and pound your gun into the ground. Your gun, your money, your choice. Opinions will vary here.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
ANSI/SAAMI and NATO/C.I.P. use different testing methodology and it can be difficult to convert directly, so the following is based on fairly extensive study from several sources.

NATO ammo is only slightly higher pressure than SAAMI +P Maximum Average Pressure while the Maximum Probable Mean Sample is practically the same, and is appropriate for use in "modern robust firearms in good condition" (Jimenez J.A. Nine and Hi-Point need not apply.) The main difference: 9mm NATO fixed standard vs what could be considered a North American standard since FAR more 115 FMJ ammo is sold in the U.S. (Source: Lucky Gunner) than either 124 gr. or 147 gr., while NATO ammo is limited to 124 gr. FMJ and is the 9mm standard for half the planet.

All that said, 9mm NATO can be harder on your firearm than commercial 9mm 115 gr. standard pressure plinking ammo. Unless you get a pretty good deal on the NATO ammo, it's probably not be worth the tradeoff, unless you plan on using 124 gr. +p (or even 124 gr. +p+) hollow point ammo for defensive uses.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I run the Winchester 124 gr NATO quite alot, and really don’t notice significant differences compared to standard 124 gr ammo in factory loadings. While I have not done any real testing, the recoil differences and ejection pattern differences are minimal for me.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I run the Winchester 124 gr NATO quite alot, and really don’t notice significant differences compared to standard 124 gr ammo in factory loadings. While I have not done any real testing, the recoil differences and ejection pattern differences are minimal for me.
Pressures with NATO are quite a bit hotter. Most unseasoned shooters dont feel much of a difference, mainly because they dont really know what they`re looking for. If your already shootin HOT bulk ammo, then no, you likely dont feel much of the difference. People like me (and many others), that have been reloading and shooting for over 50 years, we feel every bit of whats different in most loads. So, with THAT said, i can understand your reasoning very easily.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pressures with NATO are quite a bit hotter. Most unseasoned shooters dont feel much of a difference, mainly because they dont really know what they`re looking for. If your already shootin HOT bulk ammo, then no, you likely dont feel much of the difference. People like me (and many others), that have been reloading and shooting for over 50 years, we feel every bit of whats different in most loads. So, with THAT said, i can understand your reasoning very easily.
I know what you’re saying. However the average shooter today will likely never shoot their gun enough to worry about the differences in these ammo loadings. Now....someone who competes and runs thousands upon thousands of rounds, well that’s another story. I do reload too...over 10 years now. I don’t have all of my info at my fingertips here, but my normal range loads are 124 gr Berrys plated over 4.2 gr of Titegroup, and when I first developed this load, I borrowed a friends chrono and it ran just shy of 1100 fps. So a fairly stout load, not much less than the Win NATO at 1150 fps, and definitely not +P territory.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i bought a few thousand rouns of the nato stuff for stock piling, alot cheaper then hollow points. i found the stuff is not accurate at all. large groupings with all my S&W's, my glocks and sig. not sure if its just the lot i bought, but i have been burning it up just to get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
i bought a few thousand rouns of the nato stuff for stock piling, alot cheaper then hollow points. i found the stuff is not accurate at all. large groupings with all my S&W's, my glocks and sig. not sure if its just the lot i bought, but i have been burning it up just to get rid of it.
Thats usually the issues i`ve heard and seen, myself, from many shooters over the years that bought nato ammo. So i seriously doubt its you or the gun(s). Thats one of a couple reasons i dont buy the stuff. Most have crimped primers, which most of us reloaders just simply hate. BUT, if it comes down to being that THATS the only ammo out there to buy, its better than going without.

Watch out for winchester white box (115gr FMJ)
Many times i`ve bought it at wally-world only to find when i got it out to shoot it, found hit-n-miss boxes of crimped primers, AND, the one with crimped primers were ALOT hotter. This factual find, told me winchester was mixing NATO in their batches of wwb bulk boxed ammo. So when i go into wally-world now, and wwb is all they have, i open the boxes and check to make sure the primers aren`t crimped, if they are, i hand them back to the clerk.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I know what you’re saying. However the average shooter today will likely never shoot their gun enough to worry about the differences in these ammo loadings. Now....someone who competes and runs thousands upon thousands of rounds, well that’s another story. I do reload too...over 10 years now. I don’t have all of my info at my fingertips here, but my normal range loads are 124 gr Berrys plated over 4.2 gr of Titegroup, and when I first developed this load, I borrowed a friends chrono and it ran just shy of 1100 fps. So a fairly stout load, not much less than the Win NATO at 1150 fps, and definitely not +P territory.
I totally agree with MOST of your statement... you get it.
I`m not so much concerned about the speed as i am, about the pressure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I totally agree with MOST of your statement... you get it.
I`m not so much concerned about the speed as i am, about the pressure.
Hey PaPow, I definitely agree that pressures are the true concern here to be aware of. I don’t see it as a major threat or issue with most of todays guns having an integral ramp barrel. With the exception of an oddball, most have sufficient case head support with the ramped barrel to help mitigate the potential for bulged or blown cases. That’s not to say that anyone shooting higher pressure loads should ignore checking spent cases for signs of over pressure. Alos, higher pressure loads do require us to adopt a solid inspection regiment to watch for accelerated wear and or for spring replacement.

·
Registered
94 Posts
PaPow, yes, i use any other 9mm ammo and they shoot fine. took me about 500 round to realize it was the ammo and not me. if it werent for bringing 2 types to the range, i would have never noticed and thought it was me or the guns. i had some WWB and the nato stuff, use the WWB first and thought i was doing good. a few mags into the nato stuff and i stopped. then i tested it the next time. mags back to back comparing the. that nato stuff is horrible

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hey PaPow, I definitely agree that pressures are the true concern here to be aware of. I don’t see it as a major threat or issue with most of todays guns having an integral ramp barrel. With the exception of an oddball, most have sufficient case head support with the ramped barrel to help mitigate the potential for bulged or blown cases. That’s not to say that anyone shooting higher pressure loads should ignore checking spent cases for signs of over pressure. Alos, higher pressure loads do require us to adopt a solid inspection regiment to watch for accelerated wear and or for spring replacement.
2 thumbs up my friend :unworthy::cheers:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
PaPow, yes, i use any other 9mm ammo and they shoot fine. took me about 500 round to realize it was the ammo and not me. if it werent for bringing 2 types to the range, i would have never noticed and thought it was me or the guns. i had some WWB and the nato stuff, use the WWB first and thought i was doing good. a few mags into the nato stuff and i stopped. then i tested it the next time. mags back to back comparing the. that nato stuff is horrible
I call it "the last resort ammo" when theres nothing left to shoot. :smoke:
Its great if you just wanna go plow dirt, or even smoke some watermelons @ 5 feet away.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the accuracy of the 124 gr NATO from Winchester is very dependant on the individual gun it’s being shot through. While I certainly wouldn’t use it for any accuracy competitions, it seems to be at least as accurate as any other range quality ammo I’ve used in any of my 9mm guns for general plinking out to 15 yards. But no, it is not as accurate by any measure compared to my reloads.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I think the accuracy of the 124 gr NATO from Winchester is very dependant on the individual gun it’s being shot through. While I certainly wouldn’t use it for any accuracy competitions, it seems to be at least as accurate as any other range quality ammo I’ve used in any of my 9mm guns for general plinking out to 15 yards. But no, it is not as accurate by any measure compared to my reloads.
Reloads are alot more enjoyable, they give you a sense of worthiness...lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not true with the batch i have. Not accurate in any pistol i used it out of. (sig P226, 4 M&P's, glock 19, glock 22 and 27 with 40-9 barrels) And they are all pretty accurate otherwise. The groupings were horrible with the nato ammo.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Reloads are alot more enjoyable, they give you a sense of worthiness...lol
You are absolutely right my friend. Lately though, since 9mm factory ammo has become so cheap, I am not loading as much 9mm as I had in the past. When I can get “decent” brass cased 124 gr fmj delivered to my door for under $10/box, it’s hard to spend alot of time reloading on my lowly turret press for the minimal savings. I have only loaded about 3000 this winter. Way down compared to what I used to do.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You are absolutely right my friend. Lately though, since 9mm factory ammo has become so cheap, I am not loading as much 9mm as I had in the past. When I can get “decent” brass cased 124 gr fmj delivered to my door for under $10/box, it’s hard to spend alot of time reloading on my lowly turret press for the minimal savings. I have only loaded about 3000 this winter. Way down compared to what I used to do.
ABSOLUTELY AGREE...!!!!!!
I have several progressive auto presses, but that surely dosen`t bring the price down on the ammo during reloading, just means i can reload way faster in less time...lol. Being that i live in Nazi NY, i can no longer have ammo shipped to my door, so sometimes, i cant get the deals on ammo that ya`ll can. If i have ammo shipped, it has to go thru a FFL dealer, and then they like to add THEIR little fee into the price. The dealers around here, kinda frown on you for buying ammo from somewhere else instead of them. So in the end, sometimes its been cheaper for me to still reload. I make my own jacketed bullets too, so thats another money savings for me too. If i have to pay over $10 per 50rds, i reload my own.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ABSOLUTELY AGREE...!!!!!!
I have several progressive auto presses, but that surely dosen`t bring the price down on the ammo during reloading, just means i can reload way faster in less time...lol. Being that i live in Nazi NY, i can no longer have ammo shipped to my door, so sometimes, i cant get the deals on ammo that ya`ll can. If i have ammo shipped, it has to go thru a FFL dealer, and then they like to add THEIR little fee into the price. The dealers around here, kinda frown on you for buying ammo from somewhere else instead of them. So in the end, sometimes its been cheaper for me to still reload. I make my own jacketed bullets too, so thats another money savings for me too. If i have to pay over $10 per 50rds, i reload my own.
I can’t even imagine dealing with the bull crap some of you folks have to for gun/ammo laws and restrictions.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I can’t even imagine dealing with the bull crap some of you folks have to for gun/ammo laws and restrictions.
Adolf Cuomo has GOT TO GO in this next (2018) election. If he wins NY for a 3rd term, he`ll run in 2020 for the whitehouse.
Trust me folks, you dont want THAT worthless NAZI in power, ANYWHERE...PERIOD
My fear is SAFE-ACT2 is well on its way. Then onto the whitehouse to come after ALL your guns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts