MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone had any experience with the winchester ranger (law enforcement ammunition) in .40 cal?

they were alot cheaper than my usuall hydra shocks

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I carry them, the 180gr variety (RA40T), and I have about 1000 rounds stashed. Cheaper than Hydra-shok and performs better, no contest in my mind.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you mean the version that's going for $13-15/box of 50, it's decent ammo, BUT it's old-school style - a basic JHP design, rather than a bonded or otherwise updated version. It runs right at 1200 fps (chronoed from my Steyr, same barrel length as the M&P) and uses a low-flash powder. I ran most of a case through the Steyr with no problems of any kind; I've only put a couple of mags of it through my M&P, same result.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In the Ranger line there is:

A 180 JHP that is pretty much the same bullet they started w in 1990.

There is a 155 JHP that is pretty much a Silvertip w a different color jacket.

There are 165 and 180 Ranger Ts, as well as 165 and 180 Ranger Bonded. These 4 are or will be "enhanced".

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The Hydra-shoks are old bullets that do have some problems. If you like federal like me try the HSTs

·
Registered
559 Posts
99ncxj said:
these are the 155 grain. are they worth 20.00 for a box of 50?
Yeah, but they can be found cheaper.
I think they're a step or two above the cheaper JHP stuff that Wal-mart sells, but then I haven't shot any of the JHPs from Wal-Mart, just the hardball. My experience is that Winchester uses low-flash powder solely in LEO-marked ammo; even the expensive non-LEO "defensive" ammo they sell has high-flash powder.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The regular 155 v 180 JHPs in the Ranger line (not RT, RTB) perform virtually the same as the old 180 Subsonic load and the Silvertip. From old RCMP tests w those:

5 round avg

bare 14.6/.66

cloth 14.4/.63

bare 11.8/.68

cloth 13.8/.64

1 - 9 of 9 Posts