MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased 500 rounds of RA40T from Tactical Defense Solutions LLC. However, upon receiving the case which was supposed to be "only months old," I noticed the boxes were facing random directions inside the case versus all the same direction. The first box I opened had a round that was clearly seated too deep in the case (overall length 1.045"), the brass on many primers was tarnished slightly with age, and the case rims looked rough in some areas like the rounds had been extracted after being fired. I immediately thought "uh oh..."

I measured the overall length of about 50 rounds at the same point (between the centerline grooves in the middle of the hollow point) with my calipers. The rounds range from 1.045" (clearly seated too deeply with a ridge deep in the case) to 1.125". The average is around 1.115" - usually ranging between 1.110 and 1.120. I'm measuring at the same point in each bullet -- i'm surprised to see this range in overall length for "new" LE ammo. In a box of 50 rounds, it was rare to find 2 bullets of the same overall length.

I measured some Speer Gold Dot I had on hand -- they varied in length from 1.079" to 1.080"; consistently only 1/1000" difference in the overall length. My question for fellow Ranger T shooters is this: How consistent in length are the bullets a new box of RAxxT?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Even my cheap-o WWB is extremely consistent... well, it is for the price

That would definetly present a problem, and I would be calling people and expressing my opinion... especially when ammo concerns your life. If I was buying a box of bon-bons, I wouldn't care, but ammo... the least it could do is seriously harm the weapon. I don't want to consider other possibilities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I went to look up the contact information on the seller's web site, I was surprised to find none. No "Contact Us" section, no phone number -- not even an email address. Not good. I did have some info from the shipping label and have replied to the original order confirmation with a request for a refund.

I'm usually pretty careful to check out the seller's information/reviews prior to buying since the internet is full of shady vendors. The seller's rating on gunbroker is pretty good, so I'm hopeful this will end with a favorable outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John from TDS emailed me back today. The good news is that I got a reply to my email fairly quickly. The bad news is they don't do refunds on ammunition. He mentioned a few things:

- The case was opened, stocked on a shelf, then repacked in the case after my order. This explains why the boxes were facing random directions in the case.

- The ammunition was created by Winchester 6 months ago.

- He has contacted Winchester about:

* Tarnished / discolored primers

* What the normal OAL tolerance is for Ranger RA40T.

- He's never seen an over-seated bullet in the Winchester Ranger line.

- Said he's working with Winchester to see if "hopefully there is something can be done about this situation in conjunction with them"

I've read elsewhere online that the tolerances for hollow point rounds can vary as much as +/- 0.008" per round due to the uneven shape of the bullet. I find this possible to believe in handloads, but hard to believe from factory ammunition. I'll post updates as I get them -- am very curious to see what, if anything, Winchester will say about the ammo specs for RA40T.

Assuming nothing will be done for a refund / exchange by the vendor or Winchester, I also need to figure out what to do with 500 rounds of crappy ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Received an update from John at TDS. The distributor confirmed there was a bad lot of RA40T. I'll be shipping the case back to him tomorrow and should receive a new case next week. Kudos to John at Tactical Defense Solutions for following up and resolving this problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts