MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Winchester USA Forged 115gr 9mm 150 round pack at Wally's a while back priced at $28 something for a box of 150. My M&P 9 m2.0 eats with no problems and it seams to be just as accurate as WWB 115g and about as dirty. They dropped the price 3 or 4 months back to $24ish after tax making it 16¢ per round, so I started stock piling and shoot it exclusively. I've shot roughly 3000 rounds without a single issue, I finally had a failure to fire on my last range trip. I cleared the round and inspected it, looked to be a solid strike on the primer. I reloaded and tried a second time with no bang, bad primer. I'd say 1 round out of 3000 is pretty damn good considering the price, I've had far worse luck with Tula. I even had CCI Blazer 115gr fail to feed on the same range trip, bullet was seated to high and would not allow the slide to lock into battery. I'd have to say that Winchester USA Forged 9mm is definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I`ve shot a few thousand rounds of it in my M&P`s and my glock`s. Pretty accurate stuff, and it goes bang, its clean burning. Its especially deadly accurate in my glock 43. I have yet to have any problems with the ww steel cased stuff. I buy it at my local walmart for $22 for 150rds. They now started carrying the 50rd boxes too. I think those were going for $9 a box.

You`ll get a lot of nay sayers just because its steel cased ammo. I say bullshit, if it runs the gun, i`ll buy it. What gets me is, some people say it wears your chamber. I dunno, i used to once agree with that, (before i started trying it) but i`ve done MANY chamber measurements after thousands of steel case rounds, every gun i`ve used the stuff in, ALL are still well within factory spec`s. I use a tiny scope camera too, to see what the chambers look like visually... i see absolutely no surface issues to worry about.

The ww steel case ammo SMOKES the federal aluminum ammo, and by a large margin, and i`m a federal ammo fan.

The ww steel case ammo is supposed to be the exact same load as the wwb.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Time to buy and stock it deep on the shelves.

At $.16/round it's not even worth reloading ammo unless the ammo is something really special and not commercially made. That's why I moved from .45 ACP to 9mm. OK, today there are other reasons as well, but the initial move was for economy. At that time I could reload 9mm less expensively than buying .22LR. Times have changed, but I still shoot 9mm (and .22) in competition.

My 1st gen M&P digests anything I put into it, but for competition I reload a 160 gr coated bullet for minor PF velocity @ roughly 800 fps. The same load works fine in my PCC. It can't be purchased that I know of. Of course it's subsonic for where that counts and it does in Maine.

Getting off topic now, but the only ammo that has given my sub2k PCC problems has been aluminum cased ammo. In testing it functioned great but in competition it totally puked (to my unenviable surprise at that match). But feed it brass cases and it works fine no matter the loading.

Edit: PaPow, I've not put steel cased ammo through either gun, but the steel is soft and the barrel is harder so in that I see no problem. Too, the steel cases are coated so steel on steel contact doesn't happen. I need to check it out. Good heads up. I just wish the steel cases were reloadable. Aluminum isn't due to the corrosive nature of aluminum (as found as pick ups on the range). Does someone know if steel cases aren't reloadable for rust problems or something other? I know about Berdan priming holes.

I would never reload anything other than my cases, freshly fired, if anything other than brass cases. But even brass cases are affected by soil given enough time and soil contact, at least in the NE.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Time to buy and stock it deep on the shelves.

At $.16/round it's not even worth reloading ammo unless the ammo is something really special and not commercially made. That's why I moved from .45 ACP to 9mm. OK, today there are other reasons as well, but the initial move was for economy. At that time I could reload 9mm less expensively than buying .22LR. Times have changed, but I still shoot 9mm (and .22) in competition.

My 1st gen M&P digests anything I put into it, but for competition I reload a 160 gr coated bullet for minor PF velocity @ roughly 800 fps. The same load works fine in my PCC. It can't be purchased that I know of. Of course it's subsonic for where that counts and it does in Maine.

Getting off topic now, but the only ammo that has given my sub2k PCC problems has been aluminum cased ammo. In testing it functioned great but in competition it totally puked (to my unenviable surprise at that match). But feed it brass cases and it works fine no matter the loading.

PaPow, I've not put steel cased ammo through either gun, but the steel is soft and the barrel is harder so in that I see no problem. Too, the steel cases are coated so steel on steel contact doesn't happen. I need to check it out. Good heads up. I just wish the steel cases were reloadable. Aluminum isn't due to the corrosive nature of aluminum. Does someone know if steel cases aren't reloadable for rust problems or something other? I know about Berdan priming holes.
My brother tried the ww steel case ammo, he didn`t have ANY luck with it. But then again, he was shooting it in his G19-4, which we both KNEW ahead of time that it had severe ammo related problems. It didn`t like much of anything that he ran thru it. Fussiest gun i`ve ever seen. He recently sold it due to so many issues with it. Its now sitting in my gunsafe collecting dust until i find time to replace the shiddy glock OEM parts in it. All of my other glocks shoot ww with no firing issues. Now if i can keep the stock OEM glocks from ejecting cases into my face... ugggggggg...! Even the ww steel case ammo ejects cases to my face in all my former OEM parts glocks, with exception to my G43, which is a tack driver with ww steel case ammo. Love the ww steel case in my G43. All my shield 9`s shoot it really well too, even my ported shields, yet to have an issue. I wish they`d make it in 45acp..! I`d have no problem buying some.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have no issues with steel or aluminum cased ammo for range fodder. All my SA pistols will run all of it reliably. I will not use this stuff as I wont use WWB either as it (wwb) is the ONLY ammo ANY of my weapons have had malfunctions with. SonI refuse to buy it. I will shoot Tulammo before I will buy Winchester ammo. Winchester Rifle ammo seems to be OK so far however. BTW this is all in 40 or 45acp I own no 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts