MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what do you guys think about those? The bullet looks like a decent hollow point and I'm sure it would do some damage. Big price difference between them and all the popular PD ammo. Wondering the reason on the price difference too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Here is the link to a previous thread on this

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8427

Sure WWB will work...heck a sharp pointy stick will work. But if you have to use your gun don't you want the greatest chance of surviving the encounter. There is much better ammo out there for just a few dollars more. Here is a place I've ordered from before. Check out Winchester Ranger T and my personal favorite Federal HST.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php

In my mind there is no price too great to pay for my family's safety. Good luck with what ever you decide but please do a little research.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fire1. Opinions very accross the board in that thread. I'm still trying differnt ammo in my 40C and haven't made any decisions yet. Far from it actually. I just have to wander about ammo; like other things; how much a higher price and marketing persuades people to think it is better. Wondering to if the white box stigma makes people frown on the hollow point rounds. It sounds like HST is the best bang for the the buck. I seen some of the wetpack test results posted on those and you can't argue with their expansion. Just wanting to know more about the WWB HP and if they are worth carrying.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I haven't tried the WWB .40 JHP ammo. In general, the FMJ version is pretty good range ammo. The WWB JHP ammo seems to be the old style stuff, which usually worked in the old days. I don't like buying Winchester non-LEO defensive ammo because my experience is that Winchester reserves low-flash powder for LEO ammo, and just uses the cheapest stuff they can get for the rest that meets velocity and pressure specs with no attempt at reducing flash. Having shot a good bit in low light, I feel that this is an important consideration.

The newer defensive ammo (especially LEO ammo) is designed and tested to objective specs, where the old style stuff wasn't. Many people on this board get state-of-the-art LEO ammo from http://ammunitiontogo.com/, which sells it for less than most places sell standard ammo. I'm waiting on my order to come in so I can test some ammo for my new M&P .40.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I"ll second the HST. It is only marginally more expensive than the WWB and in my opinion a much better performer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. Revchuck, that is the type info of "why" I was looking for. Makes sense! Thanks,

·
Registered
403 Posts
To be fair to WInchester the WWB JHP stuff is very low flash powder. I was firing Remington UMC 115gr JHP at dusk one day and the range officer walked over from 100 yards away to comment on the fireball!! I switched to the WWB 147gr JHP and the muzzle flash was minimal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts