MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a real nut today. This was so close to using the 40 that I'm still worked up.

Parked away from all cars at back side of lot away from a store so I wouldn't get any door dents.

Came out and there was an ******* parked so close to me that it didn't look like I could get in my vehicle.

I was standing about 10 feet in front of his truck, asked him to move so I could get in my car. He stepped out of his truck, stayed behind the door, kept his hands out of site and told me I should learn how to licking park. There must have been 5 spaces on both sides of our vehicles! This clown was nuts!

My first mistake was aproaching him the way I did. Next time I'll put a vehickle between us. He cussed me some more, I asked him if he wanted me to call the police. He said go ahead. I moved away from my wife, 2nd mistake was letting her aproach with me. I just didn't expect trouble. I wanted to pull the 40 and kill this ******* so bad. If he would have made a fast move at this point I would have drawn. If I draw I'm firing, I decided that years ago. I was totally focused on his movements and ready. Maybe my coat blew open and he say the M&P. Cindy was in a safe location now so I moved to change the angle to force him to break cover, 3rd mistake. He jumped in his truck and came within a couple inches of running me down when he tore out of there.

I am so pissed yet. What the hell has this society came to that a person has to never let their guard down for a second. I thought I was good on details, but I never even got his license number. Guess I was just too pissed to think clearly. I practice, practice, practice, But then it just jumps out and bites you from nowhere. Maybe I use too much restraint when it comes to getting the pistol out. I'm glad I'm not in jail tonight for shooting him, and I hope he is dead from a one car wreck. I'm going to have to increase awareness and continue learning. And I'm gonna watch for that SOB.

So, my advice.... Stay aware.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
First off, I'm glad that neither you nor your wife were injured! 8)

Now, this part is not good "I wanted to pull the 40 and kill this ******* so bad. If he would have made a fast move at this point I would have drawn. If I draw I'm firing, I decided that years ago."

Loosing your cool, though a normal human reaction, is something we all MUST guard against. I would have called 911 and moved away from him after his "go ahead" reply.

I got the impression from you post that you may have intentionally let him see a glimpse of your gun. Escalating the situation does nothing to put you on the right side of the situation. If that was, indeed, the case, I'd suggest that you rethink doing that in the future. If he had called the police and told them that YOU pointed a gun at him, you'd quite possibly be the one in trouble.

Not trying to give you grief, just pointing out how to make sure you make it home each night. :wink:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I hate to pile on, but I agree with DM-SC. If you had drawn in this situation, a good prosecutor would have asked the jury if a reasonable person would believe that their "back was against the wall," so to speak. Since you say there was plenty of space on either side of you guys, it would have been hard for you to claim that you had no other choice.

Now when you back away, don't turn your back on this jerk. Keep facing him, but just back away to give him a little space. If he pursues you, then things begin to look more like he's attacking you and you might be "in fear of your life." If not, you've just bought yourself a little breathing room.

I found myself in a similar situation one night. I had parked on the far side of the parking lot, with several empty spaces all around. When I returned, a young woman in a Toyota had parked right next to me. She wasn't much of a threat, but the two pit bulls in the back were! She had the windows down, and as I approached my car, her dogs decided I was a threat and started lunging at the window opening. What scared me most was that she turned around to see what the commotion was about, and had this fear in her face that showed me she had no control over the situation, almost like she was afraid one of the dogs might jump out the window and attack me! That's the closest I've ever come to needing to use my gun (thankfully), but if one of the dogs had attacked, I would have had no choice. Not all predators are the 2-legged kind! Looking back on it, I probably should have backed off once the dogs started lunging at me. But I think I would have had a better chance in court if I had killed a pit bull versus a human being.

We just need to be careful. So far, all the CCW folks out there have been stand-up guys and gals and we can be proud of ourselves with our responsible attitudes. All it will take is a few unfortunate incidents and the press will be crowing that they were right about the bloodbath in the streets! The momentum could turn against legal concealed carry in a hurry!

Let's stay smart out there. Rowe-s, I'm glad the situation worked itself out.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I understand you not wanting to get dings in you car but you got to know the futher out in the parking lot the more danger there is. BGs and crazies prey on people in parking lots, especialy far out in the lot where there are no cameras and a better chance for them to get away. Some times there are azz holes you have to deal with no matter what you do . The main thing is I'm glad you and your wife got home safe.

·
Registered
660 Posts
First off glad to hear you and your family are ok. Nothing like having one's loved ones in danger to raise the pucker factor.

As much as is sucks carrying concealed will occassionally mean that you need to back down. Apologize to the person. I've had to do this before and I wasn't happy about it but it is a lot better than the alternative. If you think you are going to be in a position where you may have to draw...try to leave! Get on the cell phone with the police. This helps in several ways you can talk to the dispatcher and describe the situation (while the nut screams obscenities in the back ground will be recorded) and if he approaches you and forces you to draw you can give the customary warnings (also recorded). If you do wind up in a shoot or other legal issue this will help you as in you

a.) attempted to retreat

b.) initiated the call to police

c.) gave warnings of the consequences of his continued behavior

Once again I'm glad you and your family are ok but the other thing to think about is how would they feel during a criminal investigation or visiting you in jail.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First of all let me say I am glad you and your wife are safe. I am also glad the other guy is OK, hoping he is still alive and did not die in a car accident on the way home. He has family and loved ones as well.

Now, I do agree with the rest of the posters here. It seems to me though you were ready to pot holes in this guy for not being a threat to your life, but for parking to close to your truck and cussing you. Not a good temper there. But what really bothered me was the coment you made about hoping he winds up dead from a car accident on the way home.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Emmett

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, it went like this:

1) Someone pissed you off.

2) You said you'd call the police, he agreed (therefore, he's not crazy).

3) You wanted to kill him.

Wow.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
As much as I hate to pile on... it's time to hang up that carry permit until you get that temper under better control. Somebody pissing you off or dinging you car isn't even close to being grounds to even think about reaching for a gun. Back off, see to your family's well being and if you suspect your car was dinged then call the police from a safe distance. Let them deal with it!

That weapon is there to extract you and your family from life threatening situations only! It is not there to assert who is right or wrong or for any other chest beating, 'mines bigger than yours' purposes. It's your responsibility to maintain a cool head and never let yourself get angry or let yourself be drawn into any situation that can lead to violence while carrying. As an armed citizen you have to hold yourself to a higher standard.

I'm sure by tomorrow you'll be kicking yourself for even posting this nonsense.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Must be a nice truck. When I drive a nice truck I paid hard earned money for, I also park as far away from other cars as possible. There will always be haters, jealous no good m*****f*****s. Those that purposely want to piss you off because you got it and they don't. People like that want to piss you off, / scare you, however they can. This guy succeeded, he did his part and left.

Don't let these scumbags get the best of us. Reading your story while picturing myself in your shoes, I would've wanted to put a federal HST between his eyes also. In reality I would've done as we agreed and called the cops, and take cover protecting my fam. Let it play out from there. Don't fall into their trap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
rowe_s said:
I wanted to pull the 40 and kill this ******* so bad.
Are you serious? You really need to grow up and reconsider carrying a loaded weapon. I don't want to see your family get hurt by your recklessness, and for you to screw everything up for the rest of us ccw holders.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I've had very few students or associates over the years that really needed to be told, "you shouldn't carry a gun." For some, it was because they'd never be capable of the necessary aggression and mindset to use it properly. For a few, though, it was because their sense of priorities was skewed enough that they would take about, for example, shooting someone dead during an argument over a parking lot spot.

We all have tempers, and perhaps you were just still steamed and felt like letting off a little bravado because you feel you didn't do it during the actual incident. But saying things like that will really haunt you if you ever do shoot or otherwise injure someone during any kind of confrontation.

If you love your family, always ask yourself this question: "is what I'm about to do worth the possibility that I'll go to prison and never get to be with them again?" Some thing are worth that risk -- protecting your family being at the top of that list! -- but very, very few. If you can't answer that question with a sure "yes" then you need to look for an alternative to gunfire as a solution for your problems, real or imagined.

And when it comes right down to it, there are so many people on this Earth who really do need to be killed, why waste time with some numbnut in a parking lot?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anonymously blowing off steam on the internet is one thing. I think he showed good restraint in spite of being pissed off that some a$$hole endangered him and, especially, his wife.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Let me guess, you're one of those folks who parks their car angled across two spots? If so you deserved a lot more than just having some guy park really close to your sh*t and give you grief. He should've left his message of, "Learn how to licking park," on the side of your car with a key.

Of course, this is all assuming you're a douche who parks like I mentioned above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
josh said:
Let me guess, you're one of those folks who parks their car angled across two spots? If so you deserved a lot more than just having some guy park really close to your sh*t and give you grief. He should've left his message of, "Learn how to licking park," on the side of your car with a key.

Of course, this is all assuming you're a douche who parks like I mentioned above.

if hes parked way in theback of a lot and there are no other cars around him then whats the big deal? now, if he was parked like that in a busy parking lot where free spaces are hard to come by, then i agree with you completely

·
Registered
259 Posts
josh said:

Agreed. Thats exactly what my first thought was. But I'm hoping thats not the case.

·
Registered
910 Posts
SWMPC9mm said:
[quote name='josh']Let me guess, you're one of those folks who parks their car angled across two spots? If so you deserved a lot more than just having some guy park really close to your sh*t and give you grief. He should've left his message of, "Learn how to licking park," on the side of your car with a key.

if hes parked way in theback of a lot and there are no other cars around him then whats the big deal? now, if he was parked like that in a busy parking lot where free spaces are hard to come by, then i agree with you completely
[/quote]

If there are rows of empty's out in the back of the lot why bother parking angled? Why not just park normally, and hope for the best? Being a huge car nut I really don't condone damage to people's vehicles, nor would I seriously wish it upon someone, but damn people who do that piss 99% of folks off. I know people with $80k+ cars who wouldn't even consider parking like this - it's just asking for people to screw with it - yet you see people with $35k cars doing it. :?

Don't know about you guys, but I'd much rather risk a door ding than a nice car covered in keymarks, spit, soda, and god knows what else. Or in a worse case scenario having to get confronted by someone like in the case mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
rowe_s said:
So, my advice.... Stay aware.

If I ever meet you I will be aware of my surroundings I dont want you to shoot a rock for stubbing your toe I could get hit with a ricochet :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I recommend deleteing this entire thread...the general consensus is pretty much unanimious. If you are ever involved in a shoot and the prosecutor finds this thread he's going to put you in jail with it, whether or not it was justified this will be used against you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts