MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Was polishing up my .40 I just got today and noticed some wear on the foremost end of my witness hole. The color is still there, but you can see where the mechanism is being used. The color is still there, but it is shiny.

First foray into pistol ownership so forgive me if this is something that is supposed to occur.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
A gun that doesn't show any wear isn't being used, but its like the first ding in a new car, hurts for a while...don't sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Those are war scars wear em with pride brother :wink:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
When you say "witness hole" are you talking about the chamber indicator? How in the heck are you getting wear there?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you say "witness hole" are you talking about the chamber indicator? How in the heck are you getting wear there?

Exactly, like I said my experience with pistols is next to nil. But on the front of the witness hole or chamber indicator, the frame seems to be rubbing the top of it and the first 1/4 of the indicator is visibly "shiny" as if it is rubbing.

I don't think I have seen any posts regarding this and thought I would bring it to you experienced guys to see what you thought.

Sorry if this is newbish

Joe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Joe Merchant said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly, like I said my experience with pistols is next to nil. But on the front of the witness hole or chamber indicator, the frame seems to be rubbing the top of it and the first 1/4 of the indicator is visibly "shiny" as if it is rubbing.

I don't think I have seen any posts regarding this and thought I would bring it to you experienced guys to see what you thought.

Sorry if this is newbish

Joe

It may help if you could post a pic of it.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The loaded chamber indicator is not a moving part in itself so there should not be any wear on it unless you're talking about where the barrel locks up with the breech face. Either way, there is nothing wrong. Either the top of the breech face is worn from the barrel or you just have a bad finish on your slide.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unless you're talking about where the barrel locks up with the breech face. Either way, there is nothing wrong. Either the top of the breech face is worn from the barrel or you just have a bad finish on your slide.

If that is the case should I get S&W to take a look at it? I don't want any problems down the road, seeing as how I am enjoying this very much! 8)

Thanks for your input and your patience,

Joe

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
choochboost said:
I'm positive you're ok, but a pic would be nice.

I agree it would help out alot

·
Registered
49 Posts
Joe Merchant said:
Hey gang,

Was polishing up my .40 I just got today and noticed some wear on the foremost end of my witness hole. The color is still there, but you can see where the mechanism is being used. The color is still there, but it is shiny.

First foray into pistol ownership so forgive me if this is something that is supposed to occur.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

My .40 shows some wear on the front of the slide, I don't know if this is what you are refering to. I'll try to post a picture for reference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Joe Merchant said:
Hey gang,

Thanks in advance...

Joe

Here's a picture of my .40 - I have some normal wear at #2 - You are having wear at #1 ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont want Premature Wear and other problems,

I traded my S&W 40mp for a springfield 40xd .

Best decision I ever Made.

The XD id Built like a Tank, With a Much better trigger.

My MP trigger Had that Glock Twang to it.

My XD Trigger Has the crisp click like a 1911.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Icecoldtexan! :wink:

That's exactly what mine looks like...

Will it get worse the more I use it?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
SHOOT IT! Have fun and be safe!

As for "yur maker", your post has nothing to do with the content of this thread! Are you just trying to sh!t on this guys post about his concern- or is there something more to the story?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
icecoldtexan said:
[quote name='Joe Merchant']Hey gang,

Thanks in advance...

Joe

Here's a picture of my .40 - I have some normal wear at #2 - You are having wear at #1 ?

[/quote]

Wear at #2 is normal. Shows the gun has been fired.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
icecoldtexan said:
[quote name='Joe Merchant']Hey gang,

Thanks in advance...

Joe

[/quote]

Wear at #2 is normal. Shows the gun has been fired.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts