MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Norinco Type 56 underfolder ak-47 about twenty minutes ago and I was wondering if it is okay to use Wolf steel core ammo in this gun. I know it has a chrome lined barrel and for the amount I spent on it (too bad I don't live in Africa, it'd be $75 and full auto) I don't want to mess it up. I don't run it through my AR because everywhere I look says not to but I'm wondering if this is ok in the ak?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Steel cored bullets shouldn't bother it in any way as long as they are copper clad to protect the rifling.

EDIT: - And non-corrosive primed! Be sure, or douse the bore with solvent as soon as you step off the line.

Steel-cased cartriges ....mmm probably won't bother it either as long as they are laquer coated. IIRC, IANAL, YMMV and all that... I think most former-Warsaw Pact ammo is steel cased/laquer coated.

The thicker sheet metal of the Norinco has won praise from many people as it seems to give more rigidity to the receiver. Only down side to that is you sometimes have to trim accessories should you decide to improve your Type 56.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the thicker receiver was the reason I paid a bit more to get one. All the research I did on them said stay away from anything that says WASR because that stands for "what a sh***y rifle" and that anyone who uses one military purposes goes for the Norinco. The guy at the place doing the transfer also told me that I shouldn't shoot it because it's a collectors item. But I bought the thing to shoot it not as an investment and don't have any intention of ever selling it. Also, it's an AK-47, one of the great things about them is that they're far from delicate and dainty. I don't have any plans to add accessories of any kind, that's what I have an AR-15 for, I could go broke buying accessories for that thing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Steelshooter said:
It's fine for an AK. The AK extractor is designed to handle steel casing.

After all, it was designed and made (originally) where Wolf is, and was probably fired using the Wolf military rounds, too.

Anyways, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem at all. All I can say is ENJOY!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts