MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.thedisneyblog.com/tdb/2007/12/woman-arrested.html

Woman arrested trying to bring gun into Magic Kingdom

Well, what do you know? They are actually looking for specific items when they search your bags at the entrance to Disney's theme parks. Today the bag screeners found a semi-automatic pistol in the handbag of a 63-year old woman. After Orange County Sheriff's were called over the woman was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.

The woman claims she travels with the gun and forgot it was in her possession. While having a gun in your purse does seem like something you would remember, you have to wonder how many times a year this happens? Just once and the news reported it, or more often and something happened where the news happened to report this instance. If this is the first time since 9-11, then that means only 1 person out of 250+ million guests visited Walt Disney World and forgot they were packing and accidentally brought a gun in. That seems unlikely.

The bag search is mostly, as Bruce Schneier labels it, Security Theater. Anyone looking to sneak a pistol into the park just hides it on their person instead of in their bag. A brick of explosives, poison, or any other threat could be snuck-in in a multitude of ways that aren't inspected on a regular basis. Disney employs methods other than bag screening to find and defuse these threats. They've been pretty successful in that arena.

But searching through guest's bags does nothing other than make guests who see the bag search going on feel safer and, as we found out today, find the 1 in 200 million instance where someone forgets and leaves a gun in their purse (although, like airport screeners, we don't know how many they miss either). At best it provides a convenient place for security to do behavior based screening (wearing a trenchcoat when it's 90 degrees out, for instance), but by the time the suspect has made it to bag screening they're already close enough to their target to do what ever damage they had in mind in the first place. The news won't report that someone blew themselves up at the security screening, they'll report that a terrorist struck at Walt Disney World.

I'm not suggesting they do away with the bag screenings (well, maybe I am). But my point is that Disney's security has been pretty effective so far. The bag screening has only a little to do with it.

If you google this you can find a ton of Disney forums going nuts about this. But I can't find where it says you can't bring your gun to the park? Hell about 3 weeks ago I went with my fullsize m&p iwb, I'm not concerned about in the park, but leaving at night is when they want to rob your ass, or even when you get home.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I saw this reported on Fox news this morning. Those clowns had just reported on the Colorado church shootings yet they joked about how unnecessary it was for someone to take a gun into the Magic Kingdom. :roll:

My understanding is that this woman was not a CCW holder and therefore broke the law.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya after some research thats what it looks like it boils down to, but the media yet again chose to be very selective in the information they gave up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The best idea would be to declare Disney a "gun free zone" These shootings never happen in gun free zones. Oh wait........

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, the question this all boils down to, is what is Disney's policy regarding CCW in their parks?

I inferred from the article and subsequest posts that the woman was arrested for carrying the gun without a license, which is against the law in Florida. Now, if she had a license and presented it, would the reaction have been different. In that scenaria, the most Disney could have done would have been to ask her to leave. Because Disney is private property, they can make any policy they want regarding the carrying of weapons on their property, and charge violators with trespassing. However, if you are at the security screening area, we presume you are not even in the park yet, so the most that can practically happen if you are found to be carrying a gun, with a license, is you will be told to leave.

All this presumes that Disney's policy is to not allow CCW in their parks. But does anyone know if this is the official policy?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I believe they do not allow weapons on their property, and that includes in your car parked in their parking lot. I'm not sure though. I read a post earlier this year about an employee being fired because he had a handgun in the glove box of his car for protection. He had been robbed a few times on his way home working graveyard. I'll try to find the article.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've been to more than a few amusement parks that required a walk through a metal detector to enter...I can't remember if it was 6 Flags in Texas or Cali. I think we should be allowed to carry in the parks...although you may want to choose what rides you want ride carefully!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't have a problem with an amusement park having a gun free policy IF they have a checkpoint w/ metal detectors and trained personnel along with some gun-carrying security guards near the checkpoint.

Like an airport terminal, if the park has a zero tolerance policy then I feel safe not carrying myself. I'm sure that, theoretically, a heavily armed and armored gun man could make it into the park but if so - I don't think my M&Pea-shooter would do much good anyway.

This isn't to say I support gun-free zones. Recent school and mall shootings prove how asinine those are. I'm just talking about heavily secured areas.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Found an interesting article at Blue Sheepdog. It was written before this latest event.

No Guns for Police Officers at Disney World

November 30th, 2007

"Disney World appears to have a strict no gun policy. No law-abiding citizen, including an off-duty police officer, is allowed to carry a firearm, concealed or otherwise, to protect their family from violent predators while at Disney World.

I searched Disney’s web site looking for clarification on this policy, but was unable to locate anything. On non-Disney websites, I have seen reports that off-duty police officers were asked to either lock up their weapon, or to leave the property. I did have one of their security guards confirm that even cops aren’t allowed to carry off-duty at Disney World."

Here's the full article:

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2007/11/30/no-...world/#more-100

·
Registered
178 Posts
Recently took my daughter to D-land with grandma and grandpa. Upon entering they searched our bags (but not our person). We get through the gate and grandma says "you can come into this country illegally, but you have to get your bag searched at disneyland..." I found her words superbly amusing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
micah said:
I don't have a problem with an amusement park having a gun free policy IF they have a checkpoint w/ metal detectors and trained personnel along with some gun-carrying security guards near the checkpoint.

Like an airport terminal, if the park has a zero tolerance policy then I feel safe not carrying myself. I'm sure that, theoretically, a heavily armed and armored gun man could make it into the park but if so - I don't think my M&Pea-shooter would do much good anyway.

This isn't to say I support gun-free zones. Recent school and mall shootings prove how asinine those are. I'm just talking about heavily secured areas.

your pea shooter can do a great job against a man much more heavily armed. Don't kid yourself. One well placed shot could ruin his day. Furthermore, I'll shoot you if you come at me with a stick full of nails...(like maybe a piece of ceder fence) so the thought of feeling safe in a gun free zone as you describe does little for me.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got mine in the doors iwb, not that hard, but after some research it looks like all Florida parks went to gun free zones after 9/11.

Nothing on their websites, nor the front doors where you enter, nor the parking lots. So meh, i'll carry until i'm caught and kicked out, its better then what happen to the couple kidnapped in the parking lot and forced to empty out the accounts at several atm's then at the end the two guys tried to kill them.

Disney needs to hiring more security for the parking lots if they don't want guns in their parks, but I will never be told I can't have a gun in my car. I live in a area where crime is very high and committed regular, and thats what I worry about after my fun day in the park.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts