MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get everybody's take here.... I have never really had to resign from a position, however circumstances are that I need to work for a different company, so this is where my question comes in....

Is it best to resign via written notice (email)? or by phone?

Thanks!

-Nic

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pappy1600 said:
By phone then and ask if they want a letter sent to them, never know when you may need a good reference

I will need them for a reference when I go for my first airline interview in June. I am leaving on good terms and I am completing an additional regional jet course prior to interviewing which also gets me a recommendation.

I just dont know if I should call, or email. Or email AND call.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It would be appropriate for you to call and talk to your manager / supervisor. Then mail a letter the same day that puts in writing the details of the resignation. Offer to give notice (2-weeks at a minimum or perhaps more if that is possible for you and desired by them). Prepare to return any company property / tools / books / credit cards / keys etc. that may have be issued toyou.

I would not use email as a communication medium for a resignation.

Show respect and appreciation for the opportunity they gave you. If you need their good will for future placement or perhaps to ever return - showing class won't hut your chances.

Good Luck in your new endeavor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree, a phone call followed by a mailed letter of resignation referencing the call. Email is not appropriate. Although you can give 2 weeks or longer notice, some companies see that as a liability depending upon the nature of the business and your position so be prepared if they opt for no notice at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always believe in thinking transitionally. If you are in the middle of a project, it's best to work through it or leave it so that someone knows what needs to be done if you are leaving on short notice.

Even if you plan on staying somewhere forever, what happens to the job if you suddenly wind up in a coma. Many companies have on-going mini-disasters because of personnel changes they fail to plan for.

Transition as if you will wind up back there. That happens too.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
One thing to always keep in mind, don't burn your bridges behind you, as you mentioned you will need them for a reference in the future, so always try to leave on good terms.

·
Registered
50 Posts
TexasAviator,

Congratz on the interview!

In person and written is always best. Even though your "home office" is 5 states away, I'm betting you have an immediate supervisor who you report to. Don't you?

Curious.... I'm in aviation as well, Mechanic based in RDU. What's your profession? PM if you want.

Again....... All the best!

Jeff

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jetsurgeon said:
TexasAviator,

In person and written is always best. Even though your "home office" is 5 states away, I'm betting you have an immediate supervisor who you report to. Don't you?

Curious.... I'm in aviation as well, Mechanic based in RDU. What's your profession? PM if you want.

Jeff

I am my supervisor

·
Registered
69 Posts
rootn.tootn.shootn.shoe said:
I would not use email as a communication medium for a resignation.

I agree as well. Email is typically regarded as informal and a resignation by this means could be viewed as unprofessional, especially if you have been working with them for a while. Make the phone call, and good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Make the phone call. Email is easy, cowardly and unprofessional. Your leaving on good terms so you have nothing to hide from. You don't need a dozen excuses on why your leaving so make quick and simple. Giving notice is just as tough as firing someone. (unless you really hate them) So don't work yourself up doing it. Get it over with and you will feel much better.

Good Luck and may the Force be with You.

·
Registered
170 Posts
my boss saved me the trouble on he 1rst.

he told me on lunch hour he was closing his store at the end of the month, and that i had 1 month to find another job

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd do both. A phone call followed up by a letter because putting it in writing makes it official. Keep a copy for yourself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
TexanAviator said:
I am my own supervisor!

You hired yourself. You write your own paychecks. You report only to yourself. Only YOU can fire YOU. You have ownership of all profits. You answer to no one except customers.

If you respond "yes" to all of the above.... you are, infact, your own supervisor. If any answer was "no", you may actually have a boss to whom it would be proper that notify you are resigning.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rootn.tootn.shootn.shoe said:
[quote name='TexanAviator']I am my own supervisor!

You hired yourself. You write your own paychecks. You report only to yourself. Only YOU can fire YOU. You have ownership of all profits. You answer to no one except customers.

If you respond "yes" to all of the above.... you are, infact, your own supervisor. If any answer was "no", you may actually have a boss to whom it would be proper that notify you are resigning.[/quote]

Dang, when did I pee in your Cherios?

I meant "my own supervisor" as in, I do not have a supervisor that I ever see or work with to tell about my resignation. Only "home base" 5 states away.

Either way, turns out I am staying. A few things have changed (for the best) so I will be here till June

Thanks for all the replies... just was a little unsure whether the email idea was a good idea or not.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jetsurgeon said:
TexasAviator,

Jeff

PM sent 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts