MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the only shooting I did from about 1975 to 2005 was a few rounds every now and them with my older M&P (circa 1930 .38 special) and the 1911's I qualified with in the Reserves until I retired in 1996. In one of my mid-life crises/second childhood episodes I decided it was now or never to do something I liked. I bought a 22A to knock several tons of iron oxide off and along the way bought an M&P. I liked it better than the XD's, Glocks and other 9mm pistols I looked at. From a fit, feel and reliability standpoint, I can find nothing wrong with the pistol. It's fired everything I've fed it without fail. Sometimes I feel as though if I glued primers to old rusty bolts, it would fire those.

My problem, that the pistol shot low and left out of the box and I spent a long time trying to correct the shooter instead of quickly addressing the mechanical problems. Along the way, I developed a block with the pistol and about every bad habit, strictly with this pistol, you can imagine. The harder I worked at fixing my problems the worse I got on the range. I finally decided to just not shoot it as much and pay attention to the ones I shot fairly well. It seems that the layoff is working. I'm getting better, but I'm not where I think I should be with this pistol. The M&P may not be a good choice for Bullseye shooting, but I know it will do a lot better than I am doing with it.

The darned pistol is a keeper, I like shooting it and can't find anything wrong with it other than the shooter. Any suggestions on breaking this block?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've been there. Also take the shot analysis with me. I've thought about taking a video camera just to see what I'm doing. I"m no great shakes as a shooter, but I can do 2"groups with my rimfires, GP100 and PT1911 at 15 yards on a good day. With the M&P, I'm more erratic and do 4-5" groups. No particular trend.

The pistol is much better than I'm shooting it, and it bugs me to no end. Beginning to think I just need to relax and shoot the darned thing.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
You're just getting used to the new trigger. The low left if a dead giveaway that it is you and not the gun. Contributing factors may include jerking the trigger and/or squeezing too tightly with the strong hand. Work on the fundamentals of your grip and focus on a smooth trigger press. Use some snap caps in your mag along with live ammo to discover where you are going wrong. Taking some time off the pistol may be helpful. You're discouraged with it and may not be relaxed enough to do what you know you should be able to do with that pistol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're just getting used to the new trigger. The low left if a dead giveaway that it is you and not the gun. Contributing factors may include jerking the trigger and/or squeezing too tightly with the strong hand.

My thoughts initially and I have developed a habit of snatching the shot. You can tell that by the impacts that are way low. I bought the pistol in September 06. When I started shooting it, the impacts were pretty consistent, just 2" left and 6" low at 15 yards and less off as the distance shortened. I wasn't having the problem with my .38 in DA, my 22A or my Ruger Hunter. I didn't have the problem with the GP100 I bought in January, it shot very consistently high left until I adjusted the sights (SA and DA). Also during this time I fired several Glocks, P226, SA MilSpec, Hi-Point C9, CZ75, Kimber, Beretta, Ruger P85 and a few others pretty much center of target just picking them up and firing them. The front sight of the M&P was off-center right making it shoot left. Low was not influenced by ammo weight. I did a bunch of dry fires with the pistol and worked like the dickens on trigger technique. It seemed like no matter how consistent I thought I was the worse I got with live ammo. Some of it may well have been trying to bring the rounds on target center when it was shooting low.

The fixes by S&W took the low and left out. They didn't take the scatter shooting I had developed out (my block). I think the trigger is OK. I have two revolvers that have heavier triggers.

Perhaps one way out of the block is to treat the pistol as though it was a new pistol that I had never fired. Tried that today. Did some no pressure, relaxed shooting late into a range trip. It may be working. A majority of the 50 rounds I fired punched a big hole (1" right and .5" low) from center. I caught a few jerks, snatches and could call them. We'll see. But is was nice seeing daylight through the target.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
one other thing to attempt... go faster.

Don't give your brain time to get up to any hijinks. Works for me sometimes when I'm having some bad habits creep back in or have "caught" a flinch from ROing people shooting open guns indoors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe the trigger and recoil anticipation....keep on shooting and try throwing a few dummy rounds in there. when you get to the dummy rounds obviously they wont go off but you'll see yourself dip forward. try and work on that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, did I mention dry fire? Dry firing your pistol will assist in pointing out any flaws while at the same time, forcing you to learn the trigger. Dry fire and correct the problem!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't rule out recoil flinch. I haven't noticed it with my 1911 or .357, or even with my son-in-law's 8 oz Taurus .357 shooting hot loads (pure punishment). It's rare, but I do catch the barrel dipping every now and then. I believe I'm snatching when I do that. I haven't dry-fired in the past several weeks. Before that I was doing it several times a week. The sights were steady except for a vibration when the striker hit. I never could stop that. The shot pattern is generally random, which says I'm doing everything wrong.

Saturday I settled in and punched out one big hole in the target. Enough to see daylight through the target's cardboard backing. Maybe there is some hope for overcoming this thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts