MP-Pistol Forum banner

Worst trigger ever?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  KmacD 
#1 ·
I picked up my first 45(FS)a few days ago and finally got to the range today. I love the gun, very manageable recoil and as many have said more of a push than flip.

My issue is at least 2-3 times per magazine the trigger does not release the striker. Crazy thing is when I use middle finger it fires every time so clearly not liking my finger placement on trigger safety. Never had this happen on any of my other guns.

Any thoughts before I either send back or change out for Apex?

#2 ·
I picked up my first 45(FS)a few days ago and finally got to the range today. I love the gun, very manageable recoil and as many have said more of a push than flip.

My issue is at least 2-3 times per magazine the trigger does not release the striker. Crazy thing is when I use middle finger it fires every time so clearly not liking my finger placement on trigger safety. Never had this happen on any of my other guns.

Any thoughts before I either send back or change out for Apex?
If your new gun won't fire 2-3 times per mag, send it back to S&W immediately. I wouldn't try to fix it, unless you're a qualified S&W armorer, or they will likely walk away from the warranty. I'm assuming that the slide is returning to battery? The gun is picking up and chambering a round correctly? Are you sure that when you are firing using the pad on your trigger finger, that you are actually pushing the safety down? Hard not to do.

J.:smoke:

#3 ·
Either adjust by placing your finger lower on the trigger or switch the the APEX AEK trigger. Sending it back to S&W wont fix anything, as it is most likely user error.

I don't mean to sound rude, but from what you described, your trigger pull is the problem, not the firearm itself.

#4 ·
Either adjust by placing your finger lower on the trigger or switch the the APEX AEK trigger. Sending it back to S&W wont fix anything, as it is most likely user error.

I don't mean to sound rude, but from what you described, your trigger pull is the problem, not the firearm itself.
Sounds like you are on to the root of the problem.

#5 ·
I agree, it's got to be my pull but what's got me is I do not have this problem with any of my other M&Ps and I've sent thousands of rounds down range. Guess I'll call S&W and see what they say.

Also, I'm not thin skinned so not to worry about being rude. Just a bit frustrated over trigger. Will run it some more and see if I can sort it out.

Jbylake: yes, it's returning to battery.

#6 ·
Since you don't have this problem with other M&P's, I would suggest comparing the action (movement) of the pull on the new .45 with the action (movement) of one of your other M&P's. I am referring to unloaded dry fire, of course!! Please visually verify that the chambers are clear first!! Maybe you can spot a hitch somewhere in the movement of the .45 that is causing the problem. If you can spot it, it is definitely a candidate for a trip back to Springfield!! S&W has excellent customer service!!

#7 ·
Since you don't have this problem with other M&P's, I would suggest comparing the action (movement) of the pull on the new .45 with the action (movement) of one of your other M&P's. I am referring to unloaded dry fire, of course!! Please visually verify that the chambers are clear first!! Maybe you can spot a hitch somewhere in the movement of the .45 that is causing the problem. If you can spot it, it is definitely a candidate for a trip back to Springfield!! S&W has excellent customer service!!

Trip back to Springfield????? What forum and I on? Yes S&W has excellent service.

#9 ·
Issue resolved. First, thanks to those who took a shot at this.

The solution, a different backstrap! A shower epiphany led me to try changing my grip/finger position and this solved the problem. I guess the larger frame size of the 45 couple with my hand size just didn't work until I went with the large backstrap. Apparently that changed my pull enough to make it work!

#10 ·
Glad to hear that it was an easy fix! Got to love those interchangeable backstraps,right?You said you went with the large backstrap-just curious about that-would you say that you have large hands,medium,or small hands?
I am still playing with the backstraps on mine,but never considered the large,since I would say my hands are "medium" sized.
Thank you for posting this..I will have to try the large backstrap myself!

#11 ·
I'd say large small to medium based on buying gloves. Not sure why the large grip works for this particular M&P. only thing as I mentioned earlier is something to do with my hand size and larger frame of 45.

Thanks again for help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.