MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I say newbie - I mean someone with no or very little prior experience with handguns.

This would be primarily for CC.

Just curious about what others think about this.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Absolutely, I believe the M&P is about perfect for a new shooter.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Without a doubt! The biggest problem you will have is what cal. you will want to carry. I would recomend going to your local range and firing the 4 different calibers and deciding wich one of the 4 feels better for you. If I had the $$$$ I would have all in full size and compact....lmao

Just go have some fun with them one or two of them will start talking to you......

Good luck, and happy to hear your at least considering purchasing an M&P. As you have probably read they are excellent pistol/rifles!!! :wink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finalfusion said:
Without a doubt! The biggest problem you will have is what cal. you will want to carry. I would recomend going to your local range and firing the 4 different calibers and deciding wich one of the 4 feels better for you. If I had the $$$$ I would have all in full size and compact....lmao

Just go have some fun with them one or two of them will start talking to you......

Good luck, and happy to hear your at least considering purchasing an M&P. As you have probably read they are excellent pistol/rifles!!! :wink:

I'm not the newbie. I'm helping my brother decide what would be best for him. I already have the full size .40 M&P for my duty weapon. He's thinking leaning toward the .40c

I've been using my S&W CS45 as my primary CCW. Hate that darn M&P cause it's making me want one (the M&P .40c) for my CC now.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I started with the sigma .40 and i could handle the recoil, but i wish the m&p was out back then. The trigger sucks and it was discouraging at first. So i would defiantly recommend the m&p, in the nine flavor as mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I was going to say ArmyCop new to pistols??...lol I should have known better....ha Well again I would just have him test a few starting with the 40c and then the others or vice versa!! But if he likes the 40c maybe his mind is already made up before he even fires it!??

ArmyCop said:
[quote name='finalfusion']Without a doubt! The biggest problem you will have is what cal. you will want to carry. I would recomend going to your local range and firing the 4 different calibers and deciding wich one of the 4 feels better for you. If I had the $$$$ I would have all in full size and compact....lmao

I'm not the newbie. I'm helping my brother decide what would be best for him. I already have the full size .40 M&P for my duty weapon. He's thinking leaning toward the .40c

I've been using my S&W CS45 as my primary CCW. Hate that darn M&P cause it's making me want one (the M&P .40c) for my CC now.[/quote]

·
Registered
31 Posts
ArmyCop said:
When I say newbie - I mean someone with no or very little prior experience with handguns.

One of my primary goals with my M&P 9c is for my newbie wife to get aquainted with firearms. I like that it has no safety, because she can learn to be her own safety - which is a major step for most gun owners. I've seen too many accidental discharges on hunting trips where some dufus was relying on a mechanical safety and not proper weapon handling techniques.

Also, for personal defense a safety is just one extra thing to worry about. Which is why I carry a j-frame. However, that has a heavy trigger pull.

I like the 9mm version because it has almost no recoil that I can discern. It's also an excellent gun that my wife and I can share due to the adjustable grip sizes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Absolutely. The lack of a safety doesn't matter much IMO, but no DA/SA transition to master for newcomers is fantastic. I'd also recommend a 9mm over the .40 - makes it that much easier to master and he can shoot 25% more per dollar.

I sold a Sig P226R because I want to keep all my handguns either SA or striker-fired/DAO. My decocker CZ SP-01 Tactical can stay for old time's sake, but everything else will be first-time/every-time (or a CZ w/ safety).

·
Registered
551 Posts
ArmyCop said:

I don't think I'd recommend any semi-auto to anyone with no experience with handguns. A revolver is a much less technique-intensive gun and should be their first experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It matters when the newb doesn't know how to make the gun go boom because the safety is on.

Is that really an issue? If you're practicing and the gun doesn't go click, how do you not know what to do if you've had the safety shown to you?

In the heat of the moment, I can understand someone forgetting to take the safety off if they didn't have significant experience with the weapon. But that's why we practice, right?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
wooderson said:
It matters when the newb doesn't know how to make the gun go boom because the safety is on.

Is that really an issue? If you're practicing and the gun doesn't go click, how do you not know what to do if you've had the safety shown to you?

In the heat of the moment, I can understand someone forgetting to take the safety off if they didn't have significant experience with the weapon. But that's why we practice, right?
Practice makes people experienced, but we're talking about a newb...which is why its relevant. Having the safety shown to you does not make you experienced.

I took an advanced handgun class last November where an experienced Glock shooter was handed a USP to shoot during a drill. With the instructor screaming at him (to induce stress) he manually cleared every round in the magazine since nothing happened every time he pressed the trigger. The USP was handed to him with the safety engaged.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts