1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02...omment-60817502

Hunting with Jim Zumbo.

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
I heard about that yesterday, went over and read his @#$%^& comments, and left some feedback for his reading pleasure, although I doubt if he will read all the responses.

Please leave some feedback at the bottom of the page! Be nice, polite comments make a good point in showing him the error of his ways.

Note: You don't have to register to leave feedback, you don't even have to provide an email address to leave feedback. It took my comments and the only information I provided was my first name, no last name and no email address, they do have a confirmation page designed to eliminate bots from spamming it, there is an image with a few letters in it, all you have to do is read the letters and fill in the blank saying what the letters are.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't see how a rifles bayonnete lug, forearm grip, or flash muzzler makes it a less effective hunting weapon. OK.. It's not a 270, or 300 win single shot bolt action rifle.. how does it kill a deer any less?

Raymond

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ray what your saying

Captain Ray said:
I don't see how a rifles bayonnete lug, forearm grip, or flash muzzler makes it a less effective hunting weapon. OK.. It's not a 270, or 300 win single shot bolt action rifle.. how does it kill a deer any less?

Raymond

Has absolutley no bearing on his stance, as a hunter myself as i'm sure most of us are also there are always going to be people with differing opinions. Frankly i think Inline black powderrifles should be classified as "rifles" not black powder rifles.. but that's a whole nother argument

His perception is that it's bad publicity to have a bunch of "hunters" running around blasting at Prairie dogs or other rodents with Semi Automatic weapons that can be seen to the non informed as "assualt rifles" which basically they are.. Make no difference that they make excellent varmit guns, all he's seeing is "Jo Bob" out on the hunt with his budwiser and AR-15 hammering away at Dogs and something happens and poof the anti's catches wind of it.. Think of the headlines.. "Assualt weapons used to slaughter Prairie Dogs goes BAD"...

Makes no difference that Browning and Berretta also make very nice semi auto hunting rifles.. And honestly how many states even allow the use of semi auto's anymore to hunt?. i really don't know the answer to that..

Perception is reality..
can see the anti's now, "see even hunters think assualt weapons should be banned".. which is really not the context this hunter was getting at.

My thoughts may differ with others..

Jeff.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most states allow semi-autos for hunting. What does it matter how the action cycles? The author clearly stated he wanted these guns banned from the prairies and woods.

And now, after the public outcry over what he wrote, the author is back pedaling like a scared duck.

You could label all bolt action rifles as "terrorist sniper rifles", but we know better than that also.

·
Registered
210 Posts
WOW, he put his foot in his mouth!!!

I think inspite of his apology, this guy's career is over. He will have to take up a pen name to continue writing.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
One of the points that I pointed out was that an AR15 is NOT an assault rifle, it just looks like one, and the same people who want to ban assault rifles and similar looking rifles, are the exact same people who want to ban his hunting rifle as a sniper rifle!

The correct definition of an assault rifle is a rifle capable of fully automatic fire, an AR15 is a semi automatic only, that is the standard military definition ever since the Germans invented the assault rifle during WW2.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
exactly, he should be more worried about the fact that we may loose alot of weapon choices with our next president.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Wow is right. Not smart for a gun writer. What does it matter what centerfire rifle you use to hunt? Maybe if more people hunted with scary guns, the anti's wouldn't be able to say, "No one needs scary guns because they have no use except for robbing banks."

I don't hunt with guns anymore. But if I did, I'd have no problem using an AR or AK for small game, and an FAL for large game.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well,

Too late for Mr Zumbo!!

Remington just Fired him and Outdoor Life has suspended his Blog for the time being!!

He should be fired by OL Immediately, the Brady Bunch is already using m Zumbo's comments in order to erode out 2A Rights in placed like New York!!

Please be kind and direct, but be strong in your comments!!

I wonder what S&W is saying, thinking and doing about this??

They make AR's but they also own TC that makes single shot Hunting guns!!

Y

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well it seems this won't die yet. As predicted the Brady Group is claiming Zumbo as one of their own (sought of). He better consult Donald Trump on "The Art of the Come Back" (LOL)

Even Remington's top gun writer agrees on Assault Weapons

With important writers such as this on our side, it is clear that we have a cultural imperative to remove dangerous terrorist rifles from our streets, and our woods.

Jim Zumbo is a writer for the prestigious Outdoor Life magazine and represents the views of America's true sportsmen. He is also sponsored by Remington.

Their blog is on:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...0d-dc6ede793c30

·
Registered
533 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
What a jackass.

I am glad he is out of a job, with friends like him, who needs enemies?

AFAIK only Remington has Fired him, did OL Fire his Rear End too??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Outdoor Life pulled his blog. There is a statement on the main page, and you get a 404 while trying to access his blog.

·
Registered
533 Posts
ledge said:
Outdoor Life pulled his blog. There is a statement on the main page, and you get a 404 while trying to access his blog.

I have the Blog Open on Safari on my Laptop (I didn't refresh it since mid afternoon), I can do a PDF of all 845 pages of it!! and the Apology too!!

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Press

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Remington to Sever Sponsorship Ties with Jim Zumbo

Madison, North Carolina – As a result of comments made by Mr. Jim Zumbo in recent postings on his blog site, Remington Arms Company, Inc., has severed all sponsorship ties with Mr. Zumbo effective immediately. While Mr. Zumbo is entitled to his opinions and has the constitutional right to freely express those opinions, these comments are solely his, and do not reflect the views of Remington.

“Remington has spent tens of millions of dollars defending our Second Amendment rights to privately own and possess firearms and we will continue to vigorously fight to protect these rights,” commented Tommy Millner, Remington’s CEO and President. “As hunters and shooters of all interest levels, we should strive to utilize this unfortunate occurrence to unite as a whole in support of our Second Amendment rights.”

We regret having to terminate our long-standing relationship with Mr. Zumbo, who is a well-respected writer and life-long hunter.

www.remington.com/library/press/2007/2007-1.asp

·
Registered
361 Posts
Man!! Talk about an idiot. The gun grabbers don't need anymore fuel as it is. And speaking of Remington, I think I'll buy another 870!! Good job guys!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
What a total a$$hat. I am glad that Remington has severed their ties to him. Looks like I am going to have to take a second look at that 6.8SPC PSS they have out, or better yet, please finish that 338LM so that us mere mortals without lottery jackpots can have one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts