MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is GD,HS, and all the rest, but what do yall think about these inparticular? $18.00 at wally world. Thanks Luis

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
They won't be the best performing bullet, but almost any JHP is preferable to full metal jacket for self defense, one big advantage would be the ability to use the FMJ for practice, it should be a cheaper substitute for practice if you don't reload.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have used only the Gold Dots for some time now. I just picked up a box of the 155gr Rangers a week ago. So far, I like them a lot also. Pretty impressive. I generally load up with 165gr for SD, but could only get the 155gr.

Ron

·
Registered
77 Posts
winchester 180gr JHP is comparable to Hornady 180gr XTP. XTP is better quality.

both have small diameter cavity for 40sw but have positive feeding. the Winchester has a deeper cavity than the XTP. wasnt impressed with the jacket seperation. but got several boxes of Hornady bullets that were less than what I expect to get for price I paid.

Remington JHP and GSHP have good cavity so does GoldDots. big wont clog as bad with clothe or paper and fail to expand unlike XTP/Win JHP. its a design for more penetration.

each design has a ideal speed push it faster it may expand and pancake flat or seperate.

can get less or more penetration which can create or minimize damage to items behind the target. to slow and might as well use FMJ. 40sw FMJ is not as bad a penetrator as some other calibers but as the bullet and load varies so will it perform.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The following .40 S&W loads all have acceptable terminal performance and robust expansion:

Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP (53961)

Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)

Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)

Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)

Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)

Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)

Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP (53966)

Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Doc, so good to see you posting here. Welcome. As I was reading this thread I was going to post, but to be honest, I don't know why I bother anymore. I was surprised to see that familiar list of ammo here, and even more so when I saw it was posted by you.

To the members here, please pay attention to this man. He knows what he is talking about.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Welcome DocGKR, I've been following your work for a long time, I'm a regular over on AR15.com but under a different user name.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts