MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mp 40 vs xd 40

does anyone have first hand experience with both and have an opinion?

I personally went with a mp but my friend is thinking about going with the xd and i'm just truing to help him with the decision...

·
Registered
42 Posts
both great guns!!

I have both, M&P 40, as well as the XD 40.

I like both models of guns. For me I find they both feed anything I put in them, both have a life time service warranties, and both are super accurate/reliable.

On the other hand, I find my self preferring my M&P 40(..and not because we are on a M&P forum!!). The reason why I like my M&P more is it seems to have better balance in my hand, ergonomics just feel right,not so boxy feeling, and as odd as this may sound it seems like it feels lighter then the XD to me.

All n' all it all depends on what feels good to him.

Check with CDNN for there availability. I know they carried both the M&P 40 , as well as the XD 40, and last time I checked, I think they were going for 420 or so.

CDNN #:1-800-588-9500

Ask for Jerry or Kennith. Jerry is the guy who I always have dealt with and he will go above and beyond to help you get what you want!! Kennith is the guy my dad deals with and he will do the same.

·
Registered
73 Posts
boostinmarc4 said:
mp 40 vs xd 40

does anyone have first hand experience with both and have an opinion?

I personally went with a mp but my friend is thinking about going with the xd and i'm just truing to help him with the decision...

I have both an XD-357 Service and an M&P 357 Fullsize. I prefer the XD, I simply shoot better with it. The XD's grip feels less textured, but it fits my hand better. The trigger on the XD breaks much more cleanly, with smoother takeup (stock vs. stock, either one can be tuned very nicely though). I also prefer the added safety of the grip safety on the XD.

Both handle recoil well, but very differently... The XD has more muzzle rise, but the slide cycles more quickly, and returns to POA faster. The M&P wobbles under recoil, making the front sight bob slightly after returning sight-alignment, because the slide returns to battery after a slight delay. The M&P has a very nice trigger reset and a higher magazine capacity. But, the M&P's magazine release leaves much to be desired, even if you get a good one which doesn't drop the mags.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have both. I sent my XD 40 to SA for some trigger work, sights, and a "reliability" package. I bought the M&P 40 a year later, did my own trigger and etc. I haven't touched my XD since. I shoot both IDPA and USPSA with the M&P now!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My $0.02

Out of the box, the XD has a much smoother trigger, even if the break is a little mushy. Honestly, you can probably wind up with a better trigger on the XD than the M&P even after they have both been worked on. The XD, though, is much more complicated to do so.

Ergonomic wise, for me, it's a push between the two. Both fit my hand well.

Although supply is intermittent, you can actually get parts for the M&P. You can't for the XD.

The XD has more reciprocating mass, which makes it torque more under recoil. I especially dislike it on the 5". The 4" is only moderately bad, and the compact is actually pretty decent.

The M&P has better out of the box sights.

The M&P has better functioning out of the box magazines and a shape more conducive to a fast reload, but the XD has stainless magazines and are cheaper. They fail to drop free often though and are often slightly out of spec when new. They usually feed just fine, but reloads can be less than smooth.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ok I have had them both and both are good guns never had any ammo issues with either one of them. But the XD is going to have more flip when shooting than the MP because the bore axis sets up higher in the had and on top of all the my XD slide rusted on me after about 4 hours of carry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts