MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with these? Looking for the front NS to go with my Warren rear, waiting on the factory fronts to get in stock but these things look pretty nice.

Opinions/experience?

·
Registered
171 Posts
As far as I know, Bowie Tactical is making custom Tritium rears, and also sells the full set or just the front.

I personally have not used them, but have read a lot about them (a lot of good that is). I plan on getting them installed on my new M&P. The front is a cool idea, but the rear is what I think sets it appart. It allows you a better field of vision because of the shallow V, rather than the regular notch.

I am sure there are folks here that will chime in with personal experiences though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have been looking for a long time for a true Post and Dot night sight and still have not found what I am looking for. I looked at XS sights and they did not fit the bill. I have been using a standard Post and dot sight on my Sig 229 for years ended up installing a front night sight only and added Crimson Trace grips to it. If you find a true Square rear Notch sight with a Tritium insert Post let me know.

I prefer these sights to 3 dot set up, faster sight alignment and target acquisition under rapid fire. I wish S&W had these as an option for the guns we just ordered for my agency.

·
Registered
103 Posts
First and foremost-I AM BIASED! I work at XS Sights. That being said, I personally believe that the Big Dot tritium express sights (tritium front, non tritium rear) are the best sights available for a fighting handgun. They allow faster sight acquisition than standard notch and post sights, with acceptable accuracy, in all lighting conditions. The Warrens are almost as fast in decent light. They are a bit slower in low light. Three dots suck in low light, especially if all of the tritium is green. I have not tried the Big Dot with a Warren rear sight. The diameter of the Big Dot is about .185", so I think it would be a bit too big to work with the .140" notch on the Warren rear. The Standard Dot, which measures about .143", works ok, but not as good as I like. With my M&P9 shooting blazer, I was hitting about an inch and a half low at 25 yards with our Standard Dot front sight and a Warren rear sight. If you want to use our front, I highly recommend our rear sight to go with it. If you want to use the Warren rear, use the S&W OEM front. I think you will be happier with the sight picture. Just my opinions, and we all know what they say about opinions, don't we?

Joe

·
Registered
367 Posts
nice thread, I want a tritium post and dot setup for mine as well and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet either. I thought about settling for the oem night sight front (I have non-night sights) with a warren rear as I have come to hate the 3 dots (the rear two at least). Thanks for your biased info Joe and more importantly, telling us that it was biased.

·
Registered
171 Posts
johndoe1027 said:
nice thread, I want a tritium post and dot setup for mine as well and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet either.

Bowie Tactical makes his own. I would love to get them, but for about $140, they are a bit out of my pricerange. I will be sticking with the standard XS rear and Small Dot tritium front.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have tried XS sights in the past and personaly couldnt stand them. To me, they were slower and less accurate than a setup like the Warren sights or Heinie Straight 8s.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hmmm, thanks for the input NCpatrolAR. I think I'm going to stick with my orig plan since the XS are expensive too. I just wish I had done more research when I bought my M&P instead of thinking the store worker knew what he was talking about. They said that the compacts weren't available with night sights. :shakes fist: :cuss:

and I don't know how I haven't seen you already, I try to notice Carolina boys.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the XS night sights (standard dot) on my Glocks. I have the tritium post rear sight also.

Joe ... Are you planning on making a tritium post rear sight for the M&Ps? If so, anytime soon?

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
CivilianM4 said:
I like the XS night sights (standard dot) on my Glocks. I have the tritium post rear sight also.

Joe ... Are you planning on making a tritium post rear sight for the M&Ps? If so, anytime soon?

Thanks.

M4,

Unfortunately, we are not planning on building a tritium rear for the M&P at this time. Due to the size of the sights and the method that we use to install tritium, we do not have enough steel in the rear sight to install tritium and be within the NRC regulations. If something changes, I will definitely post it on here.

Joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Joe,

Thanks for the info ... Whenever I purchase my M&P, I'll still put your XS sights on them.

NOTE: I'm pleased to see the new M&P 340 comes from S&W with the XS front sight already installed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the Bowie custom XS on my M&P40. I really like the sight picture. Easy to pick up the front quickly. Two thumbs up for me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts