MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a XTA Competition Magazine 5 round for my S&WM&PAR15T from Brownells. Well it doesn't work in the rifle. Does any know of a 5 round Mag that will? I'm in dire need of a 5 round mag to use from the bench and while hunting......

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Ask Jim Zumbo, I am sure he is knowledgeable now...

Seriously, I haven't heard of such an animal, did you talk with S&W tech-line?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
All AR15 magazines should work with your M&P... what exactly is it doing?

To the side, wtf did Jim Zumbo do? Ya'll mentioned him before.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Some states require a 5 shot magazine for some kinds of hunting, as an example Oklahoma requires a 5 shot magazine if you are deer hunting with an AR, while I certainly don't recommend deer hunting with an AR, probably a few people do it.

If you are wanting to hunt and need to use a 5 shot magazine, I would contact the wildlife authority in your state and find out if you can modify a magazine for that use, some guys will insert a plug in the bottom of the magazine to limit how many rounds it holds, just like plugging a shotgun, you could ask if that's acceptable. You can plug an AR mag by taking off the baseplate and inserting a block of wood that will fit inside the spring, and experiment with length to get it right.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
S&WM&PAR15T said:
It's not feeding the ammo off the top of the follower. And when it does they don't go into the chamber.

Here is my recommendation...

Magpul PMags (which is what I recommend, and I only have one supplier I will purchase them from) sometimes don't go all the way in without the bolt and carrier pulled all the way back... do this for me.

Take your M&P with no magazine and the slide forward. Take a full magazine and try to push it into the gun... you can get it in, but it takes some force. Try that with your AR and that 5rd magazine... and see what happens... if it won't stay in, hold it up in it, and pull back the charging handle to load in a bullet.

As an aside, how do you lube your AR bolt and carrier?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
G56 said:
Some states require a 5 shot magazine for some kinds of hunting, as an example Oklahoma requires a 5 shot magazine if you are deer hunting with an AR, while I certainly don't recommend deer hunting with an AR, probably a few people do it.

I do, and with a 30 rd mag 8)

ETA: it is all in the shot placement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Midway has the C-Products 5 round magazine http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

Their 10 round mags function perfectly in my M&P15 and M&P15PC.

G56 said:
Some states require a 5 shot magazine for some kinds of hunting........

I was at my gunsmith's shop yesterday and he had a 10 round magazine sitting on the bench that

he needed to make a spacer for, to limit the capacity to 5 rounds, so the customer could use it for

deer hunting in South Dakota..........It was for a Barrett .50 BMG!

KO

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
ko41 said:
Midway has the C-Products 5 round magazine http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

Their 10 round mags function perfectly in my M&P15 and M&P15PC.

[quote name='G56']Some states require a 5 shot magazine for some kinds of hunting........

I was at my gunsmith's shop yesterday and he had a 10 round magazine sitting on the bench that

he needed to make a spacer for, to limit the capacity to 5 rounds, so the customer could use it for

deer hunting in South Dakota..........It was for a Barrett .50 BMG!

KO[/quote]

Do you think he has enough gun for that?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Bushmaster and C-Products are two companies I know of that make 5 round magazines.

And on a side note .50bmg for deer is ridiculously stupid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts