MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about this, but I have yet another holster question. Is there really a big difference between leather and kydex when it comes to the M&P? I have spoken to guys who swear they would never carry a glock or an mp in a leather holster. I have spoken to guys who say they would never wear kydex for any gun they have. I am buying a holster tomorrow and trying to decide between a ubg or a comp-tac minotaur. I like the no wait time for the minitour, but I really like ubg's work. Anyway, is there really a safety difference when it comes to reholstering? I imagine leather is fine as long as you pay attention to what you are doing. I am currently carrying in a high noon bare-asset. I simply remove the holster from my belt, reholster the gun then re-clip the holster to my belt, but it is time to invest in a decent holster.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
jaystekan said:
Sorry about this, but I have yet another holster question. Is there really a big difference between leather and kydex when it comes to the M&P? I have spoken to guys who swear they would never carry a glock or an mp in a leather holster. I have spoken to guys who say they would never wear kydex for any gun they have. I am buying a holster tomorrow and trying to decide between a ubg or a comp-tac minotaur.
The Minotaur MTAC is not exactly a kydex holster. It is half kydex, half leather, so it cannot be compared to a leather holster or a kydex holster if you're trying to do it apples to apples. It will have some of the advantages of both and the MTAC's unique interchangeable design offers its own benefits. I am a kydex guy and the MTAC does not give me what I look for in a kydex holster.

Anyway, is there really a safety difference when it comes to reholstering?
Which safety benefit are you referring to? You reholster the same whether it be leather, kydex, or a MTAC type holster and all of them should provide enough retention.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kydex v. Leather will never end. Each has advantages over the other but largely it is personal preference. When I carry concealed I never use a kydex holster as I don't find them as comfortable as good quality leather. Conversely kydex is faster on the draw so always used by me at local IDPA/USPSA events.

Most feel kydex will wear the finish quicker but only on sharp edges where the kydex contact the gun. Leather will wear the finish, likely slower but more evenly over the entire surface of the pistol as it make much more contact. Once again it it personal choice. For me, my Mitch Rosem Premier is the most secure and comfortable holster I own so that is what I use when carrying for protection. When using my M&P for fun, the kydex holster from the carry kit is used.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I prefer Kydex for USPSA shoots and leather for CCW. Get one of each, you will be glad you did.

:twisted:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts