MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my world famous "Sharpie" modified rear sight.

For the low, low price of $39.95 I will send you a kit with everything you need to do this mod at home. (kit includes: 1 black sharpie marker, and detailed instructions on where to put it) LOL!

My brother thinks I'm an idiot because I want to replace my front sight with a tritium dot, and keep my "sharpie special" on the rear. He is convinced that a night front without a night rear is useless, but I get distracted by the rear sight when it has stuff on it.

Does it work in low light to have tritium only on the front?

Or should I get a tritium rear also and just black out the white rings around the tritium to make it as unobtrusive as possible?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Guys run differing setups with differing results. I personaly want tritium front and rear sights, preferably in a straight 8 set up. We ran an experiment in a pistol class where the shooters would continue to increase their distance from the taregt with each successful hit. The guys with the trit. front and rears repeatidly were able to get more accurate hits at longer distances.

With that being said, it all boils down to personal choice.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The straight 8 set up does kind of appeal to me. Why do you like it? Who makes a good one for reasonable money?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Straight 8 sight was designed by Richard Heinie in the 70's. What makes it different from other sights is that instead of 3 dots to align in the horizontal plane, you only have two dots to align in the vertical plane. In short, you make an "8" with the sights and they are aligned correctly. For me, this set-up is much quicker since there is less "happening" with the sight picture.

When it comes to acquiring sights in the Straight 8 set up your option are kind of limited based on what pistol you are running. For the M&P, Scott Warren is in the process building some of his sights using the Straight 8 format. I think Helmie said these should be the next sights Scott releases for the M&P. I also believe that Hilton Yam stated that on the second run of his 10-8 sights for the M&P, he is going to redesigned the sight so a tritium vial can be installed and an "8" format can be had. Surely Heine is in the process of building some also, but I havent heard anything about them yet.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I prefer a black rear trit front. I point naturally anyway, and the dot is there.

I don't plan to be making shots in the dark anyways.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
If I do make a shot, I'll have the target identified and my NPA will take over. I wonl't be seeing sights at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
bobbthompson,

I did the same mod to my rear sights.

There was a big discussion on here a while back about plain

black vs rear dots/night sights etc.

Just out of curiousity I darkened my rear.

It was a major improvement for me as far as aquiring a

fast sight picture. My eye seemed to stay focused on the front more easily also.

It was such an improvement that I will soon be ordering plain black rears and

have not decided on the fronts yet.

As far as Tritium dots on the rear, the M&P points naturally for me also.

Just raise it up and the sights naturally align, no need to pay attention to the rear. Don't know who said it but I saw it here "The rear sight is just a window you look through". How true when it comes to the M&P. Probably the main reason I will keep my M&P for good.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IAShooter said:
"The rear sight is just a window you look through".

I wish someone had told me that last year when I got into shooting. It took me 1000 rounds to figure that out. I always do everything backwards at first. You should have seen it the first time I shot my bow. I guess dyslexia effects more than just reading.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jester said:
If I do make a shot, I'll have the target identified and my NPA will take over. I wonl't be seeing sights at all.

My natural point of aim doesn't work well for me when I'm crouched under low cover in the middle of the night with tunnel vision and the knowledge I'm about to take someone's life. I'm not a big advocate of ever pulling the trigger if you don't see the sights. Especially when it's at another living thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is a lot of debate whether you actually see the sights or not when in actual high stress encounter. Inregards to having the night sights, I think it is better to have and not need than need and not have.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My humble experance. Is yes you do see the front sight but forget

about the rear no way do you have any time or fine motor skills at

that much STRESS! Proper hand grip and front sight is all you have to work with. Thats why musle memory is so important!

Remember you have ony fractions of a second that decide the out come

forever..

By the way i blacked out the dots on the rear sight because it tries to pull my focus to the rear .

When my funds are in i think i will pick up Dans rear sight (plain of course) and a factory front night sight

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks - well, I'm lookin' for those sights that line up in an "8" pattern (front dot over the dot below) - would work well for this old BigDot fan from the past - and, other "quick acquisition" point and shoot suggestions would be VERY welcome :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts