MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been calling the local gun shops every other day or so in the Orlando area to see if any of them had a .40c in stock, and today at 3pm....Yahoo!!!...Shoot Straight in Apopka just got two of them in!!!! They had standard sights, though even better, they had ones without the mag disconnect and internal lock!!!

I high-tailed it up there from home and got her! Of course, I couldn't leave the store without trying her out, so I grabbed a box of 155 grn Winchester SXT hollowpoints (on sale) and took her into the range (complimentary for 1hr when you buy a gun there!).

It was great fun to shoot and not hard to hold onto at all. I absolutely love the fact that I don't have to worry about slide-bite now like I did with my G27. I just focused on the targets and let my trigger finger do the work. If anything, there was just a little more muzzle flip than on my fullsize .40. In any event it was very easy to control. The trigger is a little rough, but as with my fullsize, a little fine polishing, lube and several hundred more trigger pulls and things should smooth out.

I had two failures to feed and one failure to extract, but then again I haven't cleaned and lubed her from her factory test firing. I won't worry about such out of the box failures until I've put several hundred more "break-in" rounds through her. It's very good training too to have to practice tap n' racking at the range, because stuff happens and you should be prepared for it anyway, especially with a bottom feeder.

Anyway, enjoy the pix. Now it's out to the garage for a nice welcome home cleaning for her!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
how much did they charge? cause i know they are pretty damn expensive and last time i was up there they didnt have any compact 9's in stock. So i picked up some of there winchester "t"'s instead

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never pay the price on the tag...

at Shoot Straight because it seems that they will always work with you on the price, ESPECIALLY if you tell them you intend to pay with cash.

I have always been able to ask for and get their "best cash price" with no haggling. It's the same as people buying a car, some don't mind paying what's on the sticker, and others don't mind asking for a lower price.

I paid $499 cash (plus BG Check and tax) for the 40c. It was price tagged at $599.

Good luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice report............got my new 40c last week and finally got to take her to the range yesterday. 200 rounds of Blazer Brass without a hitch!!! Recoil is a bit snappy, but not so much so that it can't be controlled. I would say it had a little less "snap" than my Glock 27. I found accuracy to be pretty good at 15 yards grouping all shots within a few inches. I did find the grip frame to be a little slippery for my taste, so I will be sending mine off to Burwell or Bowie for some frame stippling. The other neat thing I found was that the 40c fit perfectly in the Galco Royal Gaurd IWB holster I have for my Glock 27!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm a little apprehensive about the 40 compact's recoil. My P-99C in 40 really has a good bit of muzzle flip to her. Can you elaborate a little more on the recoil. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't let the recoil intimidate you!

While this is all subjective and personal opinion, I've found that the perceptible difference in recoil between good defensive rounds, like a Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124grn +P and a Gold Dot .40 165grn is negligible. Of course, the .40 is slightly more snappy than the 9mm, but not by much. Recovery for the next shot is slowed down to just fractions of a second for me when shooting .40S&W in a compact weapon.

My only problem to date with shooting .40 in a compact was with my old Glock 27 which tended to slip and shift in my grip as I shot it. As I mentioned in my first post, I could not grip the gun as high as I should have due to painful slide-bite, hence my grip wasn't as good in counteracting muzzle flip as it could have been. With the M&P .40c however, I can grip high on the web of my hand and get a nice lock grip on it. I had no problems accurately double-tapping, though the intervals between each tap were ever so slightly longer than compared with shooting my full-size M&P .40, or a comparably sized compact 9mm.

If you just let the recoil do its thing, and focus on letting the muzzle snap-reset back down naturally back to the target, with your wrist locked and a high-hand hold (web of hand wedged into the tang of the beavertail as high as possible), your recoil recovery skills should become caliber indifferent -- especially with the M&Pc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Buckshot said:
I'm a little apprehensive about the 40 compact's recoil. My P-99C in 40 really has a good bit of muzzle flip to her. Can you elaborate a little more on the recoil. Thanks.

I don't have a .40 compact, but I do have a 9 compact. As it relates to the Walther P99c, it had the harshest recoil of any subcompact pistol I own, G26 included. I did not find that little gun pleasent to shoot at all, so I can imagine your experience with it in .40. In fact I traded my P99c for my MP 9c:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Never pay the price on the tag...

APismoClam said:
at Shoot Straight because it seems that they will always work with you on the price!
Hey, who sold you the gun? I've got a friend that works there.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am right now making the decision as to whether I should sell my G27 to purchase a new M&P .40 Compact. It feels very good in my hand!!

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts