MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 65 yrs old and my first (and last) slide gun was a 1911 45 Gov. Colt with a .22 conversion. It was "well" worn but did not show signs of excessive neglect. I was 14 and bought it along with a 30-30 1894 Winchester lever-action for $100 (for the two) from my cousin. The Winchester was excellent but the semi-auto pistol never fired a complete mag with either combo without a problem.

Working on it became a steady part-time job and I was unable to completely repair the problems although I sometimes came close..........when an old problem was finally resolved a new one would evolve to take its place. When I was 18 I sold it for $100 to a friend (who knew its history) and I had a free 1894 Winchester.

I have had many revolvers since then but never, never wanted another semi.....my present ccw consists of two .357's (a Taurus CIA and a Ruger SP-101) I think old age is affecting my mind....possibly senility.....I ordered an M&P 9 (that is due to arrive today). And yesterday I found this forum and read about all these problems that I put behind me many years ago........hmmm........did I make another mistake in gun selection after all those years?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it's like any forums on the internet (I come from car forums) When there is a problem you KNOW it will be posted on the forum. What you dont see is the 80% of other users that have no prolems at all. Take my car for example. Not the most reliable car on the market, (audi) turbos pop off if you look at them funny. Looking at the forums for the first time you get the impression there isnt a working S4 in the country. After buying my car and being in the scene for some time now you learn to take any forum talk with a grain of salt. Several of my friends have the same car and we all have had little to no trouble (knock on wood) with ours. Yes it breaks and people get lemons and rest assured they are mad and will post looking for help or just to rant. Again though you dont see the majority of people that have no problems.

Then theres like what i did yesterday. I mistook user error (noob) for a problem with the gun. Gotta watch out for those ; )

Bottom line: forums are great but take everything with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You are 65 years old. If it is a mistake it won't be your first.

It is time to learn to swim so jump in and get wet. You will wish you had done so a long time back.

:twisted:

·
Registered
937 Posts
The full sizes are nearly problem free. THe compacts are the ones that you'll read about most here, but even then, I've heard fewer complaints lately. And if there is a problem with the gun, Smith is the best company for making it right. At the worst, it might take them a few tries for a difficult or hard to find problem, but it's always on their dime. Just look at the "no problems" thread, and you'll see that many, many, many people are happy with their M&P's.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Like coltman said, NOT a Mistake!

Welcome to the world of really fun guns.

I have had several semi-auto pistols over the years and never thought I would give a plastic gun a second look, but I read an article that piqued my interest and went and looked one over. I liked what I saw and bought one in 9mm. I have had the fullsize M&P9 for about 3 months and liked it so well that I just bought a fullsize M&P40. So far, both guns have functioned without a single problem. I shot the 40 at our local IDPA match last Saturday and I think I just might like the 40 even better than the 9mm. Time will tell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received my new M&P last week and have only had time to put a few over 100 rounds through it. It performed to near perfection........the trigger feels somewhat strange (my lack of experience with slide-guns) but I believe it is more me than the pistol. Never-the-less it is more accurate than I would have imagined and fits my hand like a glove.

Carry is comfortable and at the 500 round level I will consider utilizing it for more ccw time if it continues to perform as it did with the first 100 rounds......very happy!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love the M&P for its ergonomics, but for right now, I still wouldn't trust my life to it. Not that I've experienced any malfunctions with it of any kind, but my friends have when they shot it. I hope it was just user error. My FAVORITE handgun out of the ones I own is definintely my Springfield Armory MC Operator 1911. I've shot who knows how many rounds out of this baby and it's never malfunctioned on me yet, and it's a tac driver, accurate as heck. I definitely trust my life to that. Maybe you should give another 1911 a try, especially since you're an old-timer, hehe, no insult intended, but the all steel 1911 seems more fitting for someone your age than one of these new-age polymer weapons. I'm only 24, and even I prefer the old school all steel design, I love the 1911 to death.

The great thing about the M&P's ergonomics is the fact that the grip is about the same width as a 1911 (which has been considered one of the best grips ever made) yet it holds 17 rounds of 9mm! I mean, come on, that's just insanity to a retarded level. Remember, the 1911 is a single stack weapon, compare 8 rounds of .45 ACP to 17 rounds of 9mm. But for self protection, nothing beats a .45 ACP in my opinion. Hm, wonder how many .45's the M&P45 holds...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My personal M&P45 no longer fires due to a known issue, but I still LOVE my gun. I wouldn't trade it for anything... besides one that fires, and S&W is working on that with no cost to me (shipping to and from for free). Great gun, great company.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found some time to take the new M&P 9 out for some target shooting today. After 200 rounds of WWB and American Eagle it has performed flawlessly and is very accurate (much more accurate than I am).

In spite of my early skepticism, I am very happy with the purchase and love my TupperWare pistol. It just goes to show that you can teach an old dog new tricks. Hey, many thanks to you all for the input. Hmmm, perhaps another 1911 in the future???

·
Registered
3 Posts
TOF said:
You are 65 years old. If it is a mistake it won't be your first.

It is time to learn to swim so jump in and get wet. You will wish you had done so a long time back.

Where in northern arizona?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
klw said:
[quote name='TOF']You are 65 years old. If it is a mistake it won't be your first.

Where in northern arizona?[/quote]

Near Blue Ridge Reservour. As the crow flies 30 miles due North of Payson.

Are you in Arizona?

TOF :twisted:

·
Registered
3 Posts
TOF said:
[quote name='"klw"'][quote name='"TOF"']You are 65 years old. If it is a mistake it won't be your first.

Where in northern arizona?[/quote]

Near Blue Ridge Reservour. As the crow flies 30 miles due North of Payson.

Are you in Arizona?

TOF :twisted:[/quote]

Flagstaff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts