MP-Pistol Forum banner

Is your carry leather holster an IWB or OWB?

• IWB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OWB

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a leather holster. I have my permit and my M&P, just no holster. So I am trying to gather info from all of you.

Please post your favorite leather holster: OWB or IWB and who makes it.

I am having a hard time deciding between the OWB and IWB, so you opinion would help.

I have looked at Brommeland, Tucker, UBG, etc....but of course I can't put my hands on anything and try them out...Please help me out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My primary carry holster is a Crossbreed IWB. This holster has the benefits of both kydex and leather. Plus, IWB allows me to dress any way I please without worrying about cover garments. Results of course vary depending on body type, holster, and pistol.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have both, even a belly band but OWB in a Tucker HF-1 is my main carry holster.

I don't believe any IWB is as comfortable as a good OWB. When I have to carry IWB, it is in a Sparks VMII.

When I go for a long walk, I use the belly band. It acts like a back support and takes the entire weight of the gun away.

I have a Tucker HF-1 on the way for my new M&P .45.

·
Registered
471 Posts
No question in my mind about this one. I have the Cochise Defender from K&D holsters (http://kdholsters.com/) and I love it!! There is a bit of a wait to get it, but once you do, it will be worth everyday!

Here are some pics of it.

Ron

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
45guy said:
I have both, even a belly band but OWB in a Tucker HF-1 is my main carry holster.

I don't believe any IWB is as comfortable as a good OWB. When I have to carry IWB, it is in a Sparks VMII.

When I go for a long walk, I use the belly band. It acts like a back support and takes the entire weight of the gun away.

I have a Tucker HF-1 on the way for my new M&P .45.

45guy

Could you post a couple of pics wearing your HF-1? I have read a few good reviews, and it looks like a great holster (I usually couldn't care less about how a holster looks). How does it conceal?

Obviously there are two concernes with holsters - comfort and concealability. The perfect holster would do both of these very well.....the "holy grail". IWB seem to be more concealable and less comfortable, so I figure I should probably try and find a comfortable IWB...and then end up buying a IWB anyway.

I am leaning towards the Brommeland Max-Con V (IWB) and possible the HF-1 (OWB) or the Brommeland Def-Con (OWB). I have heard good reviews of all three of these holsters.

Keep the info coming!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
readyme, I assure you that the Cochise Defender is both very concealable and very comfortable.

Ron

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
In terms of comfort, as ront said the Defender is supposed to be great. Also, my crossbreed is very comfortable. One of the most popular holsters for comfort seems to be the VMII. For the time being I have no reason to replace my crossbreed though. It conceals great, is reasonably priced, with slight modifiction provides a great draw, and has held up very well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have also heard that the VMII is very comfortable. It looks like a great holster! I do think that the Defenders have an advantage though and that is being able to adjust them for different heights and cant. This is one of the things that makes the Comp-tac CTAC so popular.

Ron

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ront

How have clips worked out? Do you have a problem with drawing the gun and having them slip up with the draw? That is the only quesiton I would have about that holster. Most of the IWB hosters seem to be rather similar except for how they attach (clips vs. belt loops)

Thanks for you input and pictures.

Nice to see another Washington resident.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The holster has been very secure readyme. It has never slipped up one bit. I really do like everything about this holster!!

Also, did you see this thread; http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5482 . luvmy40 made his own clips that look pretty secure.

This clip from Comp-tac would also work with this holster; http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...;products_id=79 . The clips that Kevin used on Cochise Defender and all the ones that he makes are from Comp-tac.

I hope that helps you a bit.

You are not very far from me really. If I have not said welcome yet, I am glad that you are here!

Ron

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
highnoon bare assets cost me $25, shipped fast, nice construction, and is very slim and comfortable!! I plan on getting a few more

·
Registered
692 Posts
My only custom leather is K&D Cochise defender IWB for my 40c. And man is it a fantastic peice of art.

Ront,

These clips are extremely secure during normal use. However, they do not hold tight when using the "facilities" If you drop trau, hang on to the rig!

·
Registered
464 Posts
My OWB is a simple S&W open top by Desantis.

My IWB is an Andrews McDaniel

Shoulder rig by Andrews also.

I wear the Desantis 80% of the time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My vote goes to the Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB holster. I ordered one for my M&P40, and it is by far the most comfortable IWB I have ever had the chance to wear. It also fits my M&P45. I also got one for my HK P7M8. Heres a pic of my 45 in it:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I am going to give my vote again the Bulman Gunleather his THR is what I carry my full size 40 in everyday. It is an OWB which make way more comfortable than any IWB and with as high and as tight as it sits it is very well concealed.

I had an officer in the shop the other day I was working his M&P compact for him and he asked what I thought of the M&Ps I showed him I had mine on the whole time we had been talking his comment was "Wow, that fullsize conceals well!" :wink:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I really like the new Comp-tac MTAC -under $80, quick shipping (I had mine in under 2-weeks), very comfortable, extremely well-made, adjustable cant. This holster is getting a lot of good press and IMHO, deserved.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not custom, not even for the M&P. This Galco fits pretty well though and will have to hold me until funds allow me to order a K&D laredo Defender, I want it to match my first Laredo Defender.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have an Alessi CQC/S for my full size steel 1911 and it is my favorite OWB holster. I just ordered one for my M&P but it is a 24 -30 week wait. He's in the midst of filling some very large orders for Homeland Security and law enforcement.

I also have one of his WSDT IWB holsters and that is excellent as well, but I prefer OWB.

Alessi products are never advertised but they're always in very high demand by military, law enforcement and those who value high quality, customer service and well thought out designs that really perform. Expensive but well worth it.

(No, I'm not related to Lou Alessi in any way - I just love his products).

http://www.lightningarms.com/alessileather.htm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts