MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking hard at picking up an M&P45 but have been thinking about night sights. I have had Mepros and Trijicons on my Glocks in the past with my last set being a very nice set of Hiene night sights. I have played with the idea of Ashley xpress big front dot tritium night sights but have wondered about thier accuracy. Granted they are fast from what I have heard however I like to always work on my basic marksmanship as part of my standard range time at least a couple of mags and I work my way out to 25Meter head shots just for a challenge. I have read about the combo tritium and fiber optic night sights they sound good as an idea but practicality wise I don't know as I have no expierience with them. I don't really care for a combo of fiber front tritium rear that has never made much sence to me. So what are your favorites out there on your guns or are going stock or none at all until the industry catches up and your traditional favorites are availible?? Would love to get some great ideas from you guys. Oh and I probably will get a CTC grip, and a light to add to it's low light capability. (at lease in the house as a carry gun I would go without the light mounted)

·
Registered
298 Posts
My favorite is Dan Burwell's excellent tritium rear sight (Straight Eight configuration). A close second would be the Heinie "Straight-Eight" tritium sights. (not yet available for the M&P)

The only reason I prefer the Burwell rear sight is due to its profile which is more user friendly for those of us who like to be able to snag the rear sight to rack the slide during one handed drills.

I dont particularly care for the factory low profile Novak rear sights that come on the M&P.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Distance demos with Big Dots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8

Sight picture demo w/ Big Dots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVCeJ103BQ

I ran the 10-8 rear sight on my M&P for a while and never thought it made anything quicker or easier. I switched to the Burwell rear sight, an found I could group shots a little tighter than w/ the 10-8.

On my Glock, I shot equally well with std 3 dot night sights....an have recently switched to the Big Dots. I do most of my shooting at 7 yards and in, with occasional shots out past 10 years...The Big Dots work quite well for me. I find that I am getting shots on target faster with these sights...though my group size isn't what it used to be.

That said, I feel that there is a learning curve with these sights, and with a few hundred rounds, I'll be shooting them just as tight...only faster.

Unless your primary concern is group size, I think the Big Dots will give you an advantage in most situations.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have had both a Para-ordnance C7.45 LDA and a Sig P225 with the Big Dot sights. On the Para I used the tritium front, and plain rear, on the Sig both are tritium. I found them to be very quick to pick up and align, and satisfactory at distances out to 25 yrds. Keeping in mind that these sights are modeled on those used on big game rifles for quick close range shots at charging animals, I felt they would be appropriate on my off duty guns. Right now, my issued M&P9 has the factory night sights, which are not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have Trijicons for 4 of my self defense pistols, factory Mepros on my Kimber. My first choice for my M&Ps was the Trijicon SA37Y but the yellow rear sights are on backorder into next year so I settled for plain SA37. $109 shipped from OpticPlanet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts