MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2.0 Compact 9 with 4 inch barrel that I usually shoot at 10 yds but sometimes shoot 25 yds. I'm not a competitive shooter and don't claim to be a crack shot but the only difference I notice between the two distances is that the groups are wider at the longer distance, but not noticeably shifted in any direction.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
That makes no physical sense from a firearm standpoint Jim. Maybe the bullet is flying in a corkscrew path? That's impossible. That only leaves one other possibility that I can figure and that would be the shooter since the gent behind the gun is part of the equation.

In the following I'm not picking on you. As a shooter with more years on my bones than I'd care to remember (How did it get to be so old?), I have learned this stuff by experience. Ignoring it doesn't work.

OK, let's try this. How old are your eyes? Maybe you're looking through the sights to the target differently? BTW, I don't need or want an answer to that age/eye question. It's just something for you to consider. It varies by the person, but if the eyes will start to change it begins happening around 40ish years old. But at about that age we should start having regular eye exams anyway.

One thing you might try while waiting for the Wuhan Flu to run it's course and your eye exam to happen (see a ophthalmologist and not an optometrist) is to have someone else shoot the gun to see if they have the same problem. What a shame the gun doesn't take a red dot. That would nail it down if it's eyes and you wouldn't need another person to help figure it out. If you have a red dot available to look through do so. I find that when my eyes have changed again and a new Rx is needed the dot doesn't look sharp and tiny, but starts to be ill defined and can appear comet like. If that's the case definitely get that exam, but you want to anyway if you're of that age. There are things that can happen that aren't displayed by lousy sight and overnight we can lose our vision. As a shooter you don't want that to happen.

You might also put a laser on the gun and see if the laser dot changes position from 10 yards to 25 when you're sighting using the sights. The laser is only there as a gauge for what the sights and eye are doing. If so you know what's causing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S&W M&P 9mm

Hey Brian......
Yesterday I tested 3 guns at the range..... EAA witness custom 9mm, Sig 320RX 9mm and the M&P again ....all using the same ammo. The other two where fine.... the M&P did the same thing. Naturally, I would expect a slightly larger group at 25 yds...... It was as my friend Ichero Nagata said one day while practicing for the Bianchi Cup years ago..... " Good group.... wrong place" !!
Yes, we chuckled....
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your 3 gun test indicates to me the issue is unlikely to be you. The only thing you haven't mentioned is whether you tested the pistol at 25 yards from a rest. That would/should further eliminate the 'you' in the equation. Suggested solution....a new or another barrel. Perhaps you have a friend with the same pistol and you could borrow their barrel for a test.
If the problem persists with the 'test' barrel get that pistol back to the factory or a top notch 'smith.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts