MP-Pistol Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shoot it. It will loosen up. :geek:
I purchased the M&P Shield about 4 months ago based on all the good reports. All of you who keep saying 'run some rounds through it' need to listen to ALL the people who are saying there IS a problem with trying to "RACK" the new shield. It WILL get a little better after a few hundred rounds. That is not the problem. Try to Rack one my friends.... (smile) I believe S&W are sending out new "weaker" springs now for people who are having THIS problem.......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shield tool KIt!

I have found the three things very helpfull
from left to right, Handi-Racker, LaserMax, and UpLULA Magazine loadder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CLEAN AND LUBE YOUR NEW GUN

I just purchased my M&P 9mm Shield a few days ago and can honestly tell you that the slide is so "hard" to pull back that I almost need 'two hands, unlike what the instructions say, which is to "grasp the serrated sides of the slide from the rear with the thumb and fingers of the left hand and draw the slide fully rearward and lock it open by pushing the slide stop with the 'thumb of the right hand" (paraphrased somewhat).

In order for me to pull the slide back or lock it open have to grasp the complete grip with all fingers including the thumb of my right hand, tilt it slightly and put a 'death grip around the 'whole slide wth my left hand while pressing both arms against my stomach pull so hard until I almost get a muscle spasm from the tension (please tell me it will loosen up quite a bit later, or I will assume I have a 'defective weapon). I don't want to end up with arms looking like "Popeye's with big muscles protruding out before I am able to pull the slide with just the fingers and thumb of one hand.
I had the same problem- not only was the slide really hard to pull back but the mag springs were so stiff I almost couldn't load them.
However, cleaning and lubing the gun with BreakFree made a big difference. Yes I cleaned and lubed the brand new gun right out of the box. I was a little surprised at how dirty it was, actually, but even more surprised at what a big difference it made. The slide and mags are still "harder" than the ones on my LC9 but they loosened up a lot just from being cleaned and lubed.
One note of caution: be sure to push the sear lever down as the manual instructs, and make sure it stays down because if you accidentally push it up while you're cleaning and then try to remount the slide, you'll be stuck. The slide won't go back all the way but you won't be able to slide it back off either! Talk about stiff springs- if this happens you'll need to push the slide all the way to the rear and hold it there while someone else (my poor wife in my case) will have to locate that little lever and push it back down with a tiny screwdriver or something. It took every ounce of muscle I had to hold that slide open so she could do that. Learn from my mistake! If you're used to an LC9 or other gun that doesn't have that little lever you'll need to pay attention and retrain yourself a little.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One note of caution: be sure to push the sear lever down as the manual instructs, and make sure it stays down because if you accidentally push it up while you're cleaning and then try to remount the slide, you'll be stuck. The slide won't go back all the way but you won't be able to slide it back off either! Talk about stiff springs- if this happens you'll need to push the slide all the way to the rear and hold it there while someone else (my poor wife in my case) will have to locate that little lever and push it back down with a tiny screwdriver or something. It took every ounce of muscle I had to hold that slide open so she could do that. Learn from my mistake! If you're used to an LC9 or other gun that doesn't have that little lever you'll need to pay attention and retrain yourself a little.
There is another way to get out of this jam too. Assuming you are right handed...move the shield to your left hand, and with your right hand grab the serrations and rack the slide fully back. While the slide is fully open you can use your LEFT index finger to close the take down lever. Close the slide and Bobs your uncle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hard to pull slide

Between my wife and I we have four shields. The newest is a 9 w/o thumb safety. It is noticeably harder to pull shied back.
S&W states its the same spring as the older ones, in fact its the same part number for .40 or 9x19

This one has over 1100 rds and did ease up a bit or I am just getting stronger.
Its still not as easy to pull back as the older .40 which is @1000rds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to use gloves on my old hands when I go to the range which helps when pulling the slide back and shooting 100 or more rounds.

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
I took my Shield apart to take a photo of the recoil spring to answer a question on the board, when I went to put it back together I had a heck of a time getting the slide far enough back to get the slide locked so I could turn the takedown lever, I finally ended up using gloves to do that, get a little bit better grip on the slide, it sucks getting old! ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a NIB Shield 9mm yesterday (late Birthday gift) and the one i was trying in the store was very stiff and hard to rack. I haven't tried mines yet so I will post here once I try my gun.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I brought home an M&P40 Shield tonight and it is easier to rack than my Kel-Tec PF-9, so I still don't what all the fuss is about. :unsure:

On a different note, loading the last round into the mags is difficult without using a loader. :eek:uch:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree about how hard it is to press rounds into the S&W mags. My Ruger LC9 was much easier. They do loosen up though, with use. And you could try a little squirt of dry lube (graphite powder) in the mags when they're new. It does help but of course you'll have black fingers from it for a couple of shooting sessions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're having trouble racking the Shield, try the Handi-racker. It fits over the slide and you push it against a hard surface like a wall. I find it very helpful. I've put over 100 rounds through it and if didn't FEEL like it became easier to rack it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 40 shield was the stiffest slide I had ever encountered when I got it new. (so is the magazines) but after shooting it a couple of times and cleaning and oiling it seems to be getting better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
After racking the slide 6-8 times in rapist succession last night and this morning everything is nice and smooth now. Racking the slide, locking the slide, and the slingshot method is a piece of cake.

Now to shoot the gun and break in the trigger and I'll be set.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
After racking the slide 6-8 times in rapist succession last night and this morning everything is nice and smooth now.
I'm not even going to ask! But I wouldn't admit to it on an open forum! :lol::lol:

41 - 60 of 71 Posts